Welcome to Bachelor Of Education (B.Ed.)
Established in 1943, Utkal University has recently celebrated its Platinum Jubilee.Accredited A+ in 2016 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council(NAAC),Bangalore, the University has been marching ahead in the path of progress with morethan 55Teaching Departments, out of which 27 are in regular mode. In 2019, the University created history when the Utkal University started offering Teacher Education programs for the first time under the University Department of Teacher Education (UDTE) located in the DDCE campus of the University.TheDepartment has started functioning with due recognition of NCTE, New Delhi and approvalof Govt. of Odisha in the Department of Higher Education, with effect from the academicsession 2019-20. The Department runs 2-year B.Ed., 2-year M.Ed. and four-year Integrated B.A. B.Ed. programmes with an intake capacity of 50 seats each. A Principal is in position to lead the academic andadministrative works of the Department along with faculty members and non-teaching staffmembers. A coordinator in the rank of Professor is the channel of communication betweenUDTE and the University. The Department running under the overall supervision ofChairman, P.G. Council is ultimately accountable to the Vice-Chancellor, Utkal University, for all its omissions and commissions. The prescribed syllabus of Utkal University, asdesigned by the Directorate of Teacher Education & SCERT and approved by the Board ofStudies in Education of the University, is followed in UDTE. The courses implemented in theDepartment are of regular nature in self-financing mode.The seats are filled up on a merit basis, i.e., through the Career and EntranceExamination.
All our pupil teachers enrolled inB.Ed., M.Ed. and four-year Integrated B.A. B.Ed. programmes shall succeed in
- becoming a teacher with a difference for secondary schools of today and tomorrow.
- in becoming teacher educators in different teacher education institutions of the country.
- in showing their mettle in the field of educational administration and supervision.
- in collaborating with different departments of the university for getting multidisciplinary exposure.
- in adapting ICT skills to explosion of knowledge so as to create and disseminate knowledge.
- in celebrating the diversity of an inclusive class room situation so as to work towards attainment of equity in the society.
- in discharging their duties and responsibilities with commitment to achieve excellence in academics.
- in imbibing professional values expected of a teacher, teacher educator, educational administrator and researcher.
- in playing a supportive role to work in collaboration with community to make Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan a success.
- in expressing themselves clearly in their written and oral pursuits.
- in accepting and sustaining the pursuit of wisdom as a life-long journey.
- in maintaining a balance between present and future needs of the society while discharging their duties.
- in bridging the gap between book view of reality and the field view of reality at the grass root level.
- in conducting different action research and applied research projects which have relevance for the contemporary educational scenario.
- in promoting innovation and creativity in their respective field.
- in integrating the ancient Indian values and the modern scientific values.
We are committed to work together with dedication and determination to discharge our duties towards our vision and assume personal responsibility for transforming the potentialities of all pupil teachers to actualities.
UDTE aspires to be one of the leading centre of quality professional teacher education programmes in the country for Graduate and Post graduate students who desire to make a career as teachers, teacher educators, educational administrators and researchers by equipping them with adequate content knowledge, appropriate pedagogical competencies, research and teaching skills and job-related value orientation through multidisciplinary exposure and field based experiences along with face-to-face teaching in classroom situation.
The Pupil teachers develop:
- insight regarding education as a substantial discipline and distinct academic field with its basis in other allied disciplines like philosophy, Psychology and Sociology.
- proficiency in understanding learners’ development from the perspective of developmental and differential psychology.
- understanding of the concepts like teaching and learning and ensure the congruence between the two.
- acquaintance with contemporary concerns in Education.
- understanding of the nature of knowledge and process of constructing knowledge through curriculum development and transaction.
- familiarity with the structure and functions of educational management at the State and National level.
- understanding of inclusive school environment so as to work towards equity.
- familiarity with gender issues so as to identify and sort out such issues in school, curriculum and pedagogical processes.
- requisite skills related to Scientific method so as to conduct different action and applied research projects.
- skill of guidance and counselling for adolescent students.
- understanding of evaluation and assessment so as to raise the learning level of students.
- understanding of pedagogical content knowledge in different subject areas for the purpose of curriculum transaction.
- skills related to ICT so as to make his work easier and effective.
- understanding of the self for creating professional identity and self-actualisation.
- pedagogical skill while doing school internship.
- understanding of the Indian and Western philosophical systems so as to make reconciliation between material and spiritual values.
- insight to different Indian and Western Educational Philosophers so as to find out the relevance for the present educational scenario.
- perspectives in teacher education both pre-service as well as in-service across different levels.
- historical, Political and Economic perspectives of education.
- insight in themes like Economics of education, policies and planning in education, educational management and leadership, educational technology and the like.