The Director, Students’ Welfare:
The Student’s Welfare unit is an important wing of the University administration to cater to the various needs of the students towards financial support as well as academic pursuit. It acts as a linkage between the students, University & different funding agencies, liaising for various financial assistance in mode of scholarships and fellowship. It encourages the students through distribution of cash prizes and gold medals as a token of appreciation towards their talents in different areas and competitions organized by the wing. It organizes several extra-curricular activities exploring multifarious talents of the students. The unit seeks to enhance the exposure and capability of students with an aim to bring in bright career for the alumni.It also plays a major role in preparation and procurement of gold Medal as well as Cash prizes for the award in the University Foundation day and Convocation day. This wing also plays a vital role in coordinating different units of the University for the timely response and speedy disposal of the matters relating assembly questions. The wing facilitates conduct of various functions including meetings, seminars, conferences and cultural programs organized by the university.Utkal University organizes different literary and cultural activities among the students of its P. G. Teaching Departments and affiliated/constitution colleges every year. A brief note on the competitions organised by the wing on an annual basis is furnished below:
Prof. MITALI CHINARA
Director, Students Welfare,
CHANCELLOR’S DEBATE COMPETITION:
Chancellor’s Debate Competitions are held in Odia, English and Hindi every year among the students of all affiliated / constituent colleges and P. G. Teaching Departments of this University.
First the competitions are held at the ten zonal levels and the final round is held at the university to select the winners. The student who secures the first position in English debate gets the Chancellor’s Running Cup and a cash award of Rs 1000. Vice Chancellor prize of Rs 800 is given to the student whosecures the Second position and the student securing the Third position in English debate gets the Senate prize worth Rs 600.
The student who secures the first position in Odia debate gets the Shriram Chandra Bhanja Deo Gold Medal and the student at the Second position in Odia debate gets the Senate prize worth Rs 600. The student who secures the first position in Hindi debate gets the Baijnath Halan Gold Medal and the student at the Second position in Hindi Debate gets the Senate prize worth Rs 600.
KADAMBINI DEVI GENERAL KNOWLEDGE COMPETITION AND SHYAMA SUNDAR MISHRA ENGLISH DEBATE COMPETITION:
The above competitions are being conducted by the University from the year 2002 among the students of affiliated / constituent colleges and P. G. Teaching departments of the University.
There are 3 cash prizes for each competition.
First prize: Rs. 1000/-, second prize – Rs. 900/- and 3rd prize- Rs. 800/-
ELOCUTION COMPETITION IN ENGLISH AND ODIA ON THE EVE OF THE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION DAY:
The above competitions are being conducted by the University among the students of P. G. Teaching departments of the University. Three cash prizes, worth Rs 800, Rs 700 and Rs 600 to the First, Second and Third prize winners respectively are given on the Foundation Day celebration of the University.
DIFFERENT GOLD MEDALS & CASH PRIZES DISTRIBUTED ON THE EVE OF UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION DAY:
- Saraswati Ray Gold Medal awarded to the best Women NSS volunteer of Utkal University .
- Latika Sundari Ray gold Medal awarded to the best all round PG Women student of Utkal University.
- Padmanav Markap Memorial Gold Medal for securing highest percentage of marks in M.Sc. (Geology) Examination.
- Late Justice Joy Krushna Mishra Memorial Gold Medal awarded to the student standing first class first in 5 year integrated B.A. L.L.B Course.
- Justice Gati Krushna Mishra Memorial Gold Medal to the student for securing first class first in L.L.M.
- Pandit Sudarshan Rath Memorial Cash Prize for securing highest percentage of marks in M.A. in Sanskrit.
- Adwaita Charan Das Memorial Gold Medal for securing highest percentage of marks in Mathematics in science stream of the Final degree .
- Ashok Das Memorial Gold Medal to the student for securing highest marks in Three year L.L.B.
- Justice Bijoy Kishore Ray Memorial Cash Prizes to the students for securing highest marks in 5 year Integrated L.L.B., 3 year L.L.B and L.L.M.
- Er.Biswanath Mishra Memorial Cash Prizes to the student for securing highest percentage of marks and to the student securing highest marks among lady students in M.A.(Odia).
- Institute of Charted Accountants of India Prize to the student securing highest marks in Accountancy Paper in +3 Commerce (Hons.).
FELLOWSHIPS / SCHOLARSHIPS HANDLED BY THE SECTION: NATIONAL LEVEL FELLOWSHIPS (funded by UGC/CSIR/ICSSR)
- UGC-National Fellowship for SC
- 3UGC- National Fellowship for OBC
- UGC- KOTHARI Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- National Fellowship for PWD
- Sabitri Bai Jyoti Rao Phule Single Girl Child Fellowship
- Dr. Radhakrishna Post-Doctoral Fellowships
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship to woman student (SC/ST)
- Maulana Azad National Fellowships
- CSIR Fellowships
- Indian Council for Social Science Research Felowships
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs (NFST) Fellowships
- DST INSPIRE FELLOWSHIP
- ICMR Fellowship
- Odisha University Research and Innovation Incentivisation Fellowships
- Biju Patnaik Research Fellowships
STATE SCHOLARSHIP PORTAL (SSP)
- PRERANA (EBC/OBC/SEBC)
- NIRMAN SHRAMIK KALYAN YOJANA
NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PORTAL (NSP)
- P.G. MERIT SCHOLARSHIP FOR UNIVERSITY RANK HOLDER
- P.G. INDIRA GANDHI SINGLE GIRL CHILD SCHOLARSHIP
- POST MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP SCHEMES MINORITIES CS
- POST MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
- CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME OF SCHOLARSHIP
- PG SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME FOR SC ST STUDENTS FOR PERSUING PROFESSIONAL COURSES
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR EDUCATION TO THE WARDS OF BEEDI/CINE/IOMC/LSDM- POST MATRIC
- PRIME MINISTER’S SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME FOR CENTRAL ARMED POLICE FORCES AND ASSAM RIFLES
- MERIT-CUM-MEANS SCHOLARSHIP FOR PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL COURSES CS
- Sri Harihar Mishra Memorial Scholarships
- Poverty – cum – Merit Scholarship (Khiragobinda)
- Usha Soni Award Scholarships
- Gagan Bihari Chand Memorial Scholarships
- Usha Deka Memorial Fund Scholarships
MAJOR COMPETITIONS ORGANIZED (ANNUAL)
- Chancellor’s Cup Debate Competition in English, Odia & Hindi(Inter College)
- Shyamsundar Mishra Debate Competition in English(Inter College)
- Kadambini Devi General Knowledge Competition(Inter College)
- POST MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
- Elocution Competition in English & Odia(Inter College)
SPECIAL EVENTS IN 2022 & 2023
- English Essay Competitions for celebration of 60th year of India’s Customs Act 1962
- Inter-University Competitions in Literary and Cultural Events
- Essay Competition for National Science Day
- Debate, Essay, Drawing, Painting Competitions for celebration of Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav
- Motivational Talks by the Brahmakumaris & Jain Guru
- Exhibition for celebration of National Unity Day
In current times, mental health is as much important as physical health and more so for the youth. With the objective of counselling students of the university as to the ways of keeping the mind healthy, a distinguished Jain Guru, Muni Arvind was invited to conduct a session on 15 November, 2022 at the P G Council hall. Arvind Muni is an ascetic of repute and a strong believer of Indian tradition and value system.
The programme was attended by a large number students and members of staff.
Prjapita Brahmakumari Ishwarita Vishwa Vidyalaya conducted a motivational session and Rajyoga Meditational Training for the students, research scholars and members of staff of Utkal University on 31 October 2023 at the P G Council Hall.
The session was handled by Dr Sachin Parab, a professional counsellor and corporate trainer of national repute. The session aimed at improving the concentration, manage thoughts, enhance ability to face challenges and bring harmony into relationships.