In India, the University Education Commission (1948-49) headed by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan describes, “The library is the heart of the University’s work; directly so as regards its research work and indirectly as regards its educational work, which derives its life from research work.”Libraries play an indispensable role in the dissemination of Information. Higher education is a process of learning and the students are to be provided with the necessary facilities for their self-learning process. The central library of Utkal University, named after its first Vice Chancellor, Professor Pranakrushna Parija, is one of the finest libraries in the state of Odisha. Set up in 1946 in Cuttack, it was shifted to the campus of Utkal University in Bhubaneswar in 1962. The building of the library, an impressive edifice, is spread over 28,000 square feet and comprises large reading rooms, periodicals, references, manuscripts, documentation and text-book, and administrative sections. The holdings of the library consist of more than two Lakhs of books and 5800 rare manuscripts. To serve the information needs of its large number of users in a globalized world the library, as part of INFLIBNET e-ShodhSindhu Consortium and OSHEC Consortium provides access to a wide variety of e-resources. The faculty, students, research scholars, and employees of the University find Parija Library a vibrant and welcoming learning space.
The Parija Library is fully automated using RFID technology with e-Granthalaya Library Management software. The Library provides Free WiFi service for all users.
- Library Timing:- 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM on all working days
- Circulation Timing:- 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM on all working days
- Library Print Collection:- 271500 Books, 200 current Periodicals, 5800 Manuscripts, 5600 Ph.D. Theses.
The Parija Library Website
All information of the Library is available in the Library webpage under the University Website. Links for Webopac and all e-Resources are accessible through the Library Website.
As the Parija Library moves towards its goal of achieving prominence as a leading university library of the country, ‘It is the vision of the Library to support the university and its stakeholder by providing seamless access to the widest possible spectrum of information resources such as digital, online databases, print and non-print materials relevant to the curricular, informational, and innovative research needs of the academic community, means to provide Right Information to the Right Users at the Right Time and in the Right Format.
The mission is to provide the students with the information they need to achieve their highest academic potential and help them acquire the research skills necessary for lifelong learning. To support teaching faculty & administrative staff and to participate in interactive information exchange within the wider library / educational community.
- The Parija Library supports student success and life-long learning by delivering high-quality resources, instruction, services, programs, and spaces to support the educational and professional goals of our students.
- The Library works in partnership with faculty, staff, administrators, and the surrounding community
- The library fosters innovation by always seeking new and better ways of working with the University community.
Reading Space Facilities:
|General Reading room||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|E-Library Reading Room||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Research Scholar Reading Room||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Anweshan Research Cubicles||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Current Journals Reading Room||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Newspapers Reading Area||Ground Floor, Parija Library & E Library|
|Divyanga Reading Room||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Divyanga Digital Library||Ground Floor, Parija Library|
|Manoj Das Reading Room||Fifth Floor, Parija Library|
|Senior Citizen Reading Room||Ground Floor, Parija Library & E Library|
- Free WiFi
- RFID Enabled Computerized Book Circulation system.
- Reference Service.
- Referral Service.
- Digital Library
- Inter Library Loan Service. (DDR)
- Bibliography Service.
- Current Awareness Service.
- OPAC Service in Library.
- M-OPAC Service for out of Library Users.
- Newspaper Clipping Service.
- Reprography Service.
- Printing Service. Provision of Separate reading room for different types of users..
- Facilities for visually impaired students.
- Book Exhibition.
- User Orientation.
- Separate cubicles for Research Fellow.
- Career/ Employment information.
- Suggestion box and timely response.
- Organizing training and workshop Programmes
- Book contribution Point
Library Committee: A library committee has been formed for the maintenance of the Parija Library in Utkal University. The committee frames the rules and regulations of the library after approval from University authorities.
Staff Strength: Parija Library has 46 sanctioned posts and Library Office has 19 sanctioned posts.
As an annex to the Parija Library an extensively rich and electronic resourceful e-library has been set up in the campus. It is well-designed and it has spacious and fully air-conditioned reading hall with smart class technology, Large Conference halls, Seminar rooms, DA room, Book Contribution Points, Special Reading room for Senior Citizen, Children and Visually Challenged Users, 76 seated Digital Library equipped with all modern amenities which provide the right ambiance for studies.
Library Timing: 9.00 AM to 7.00 PM on all working days
Parija Library in Utkal University at Vani Vihar has its own building within the campus, an impressive edifice of Five Floor Structure. The library is situated in the heart of the campus. It occupies 28.000 sq. ft. The reading room occupies 7500 sq. ft. for 200 users, Periodical Section comprises 1800 sq. ft. for 60 users, Reference section comprises 1500 sq. ft., Administrative room occupies 2800 sq. ft., and Manuscript Section occupies 2500 sq. ft.
- Five Floor Structure.
- Carpet area of the library : 28000 ft
- Property Counter, Visitors’ Lobby, Security Check Area, Administrative Office, Reading Room Area, Textbook Section, Manuscripts Section, Acquisition Section, Current Journals, Divyang Reading Room, Research Scholars’ Reading Room, Newspaper Reading Room, Committee Room, Circulation Counter, Server Room, Separate Toilets for Boys and Girls and staff, Drinking water, First Aid.
- Stack Area, E-resource Access Center, Reference Section.
- Stack Area, Anweshan Research Cubicles, Store Room, Binding Section, Binding Section
- Bound Volumes and Stack Area
- D. Theses Section, Bound Volumes
- Manoj Das Reading Room
- E-Library has been located adjacent to the Parija Library. Carpet area of the library : 6000 ft
- Property Counter, Reception Counter, Visitors’ Lobby, Security Check Area, Administrative Office, Reading Room Area, Divyangan Reading Room, Book Contribution Point, Newspaper Reading Area, Conference Hall, Server Room, Separate Toilets for Boys and Girls and staff, Divyangan Toilet, Store Room, Drinking water, First Aid.
- Digital Library, Conference Hall, Server Room, Office Room, Seminar & Group Discussion Room, Drinking water, Separate Toilets for Boys and Girls and staff.