Department of Anthropology
The Post Graduate Department of Anthropology was established in 1958, started functioning in a borrowed government building near the Old Convent School, Bhubaneswar, under the stewardship of Late Professor Dr. A. Aiyappan and later, in 1962 was shifted to the Utkal University Campus, Vani Vihar. It occupied its present building in the campus as early as 1971, in the first phase of the growth of the University Campus. The Department started with the faculty, namely, Late Professor Dr. A. Aiyappan, Dr. N. Patnaik, Dr. P. D. P. Rao, and Dr. K. K. Das, and the student strength was 8, subsequently increased to 16 in 1964-65, to 24 in 1972-73 and to 32 in 1986-87. The Department witnessed a new phase of its growth with Professor Dr. L. K. Mahapatra as its Professor and Head in 1967. From its inception, the Department began teaching Social Anthropology and Physical Anthropology as the two major specializations.