1.H.S.C. 1973 B.S.E., Orissa 1st 79.9% FIRST Position
2. I.A. 1975 Utkal Univ. Bhubaneswar 1 St. 74%
.SEVENTH in the University
3. B.A. (History) Hons. 1977 Utkal Univ. Bhubaneswar 1 st with Distinction 64.3% FIRST in the University
4. M.A. (History) with Ancient Indian History and Archaeology 1979 Delhi University, A Grade 4.69 Average Grade points, THIRD in Ancient Indian
5.M.A. Anthropology (Private) with Prehistoric Archaeology 1984 Utkal Univ. Bhubaneswar 1 St 64.9%
6.Ph.D. (Archaeology) 1991 University of
1.Professor from 2001 to March, 2018
2.Reader from 1993 to 2001
3.Lecturer from 1980 to 1993
1. Guided 9 students who have completed Ph. D
2. Excavated the sites of Malikhoja, Harirajpur and Gouranga Patana in Odisha.
3. Undertaken researches on early trade in the Indian Ocean, archaeology of Odisha, ethnoarchaeology, bead studies, historiography of Indian archaeology and museum studies
4. Presented papers in a number of international conferences held in Paris, Brussels, Berlin, Vienna, Dacca, Jogyakarta, Bangkok etc.
1. Professor from 2001 to March, 2018
2. Reader from 1993 to 2001
3. Lecturer from 1980 to 1993
• M.N.Srinivas: The Man and His Work. Edited by P.K. Misra, K.K. Basa & H.K. Bhat (Jaipur, 2007).
• Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam. Edited by K. K. Basa & B. Medhi (Bhopal & Delhi, 2008)
• Plural Nature of Anthropology. Edited by A.K. danda, K.K. Basa & K.K. Misra (Kolkata, 2012).
• Anthropological Impact Assessment of Development Initiatives. Edited by A.K. Danda, K.K. Basa & K.K. Misra (INCAA, Jhargram, 2012).
• Archaeology of Orissa (2 Vols.). Edited by K. K. Basa & P. Mohanty, (Delhi, 2000)
• Anthropology for Archaeology. Edited by S.R. Walimbe, P.P.Joglekar and K. K. Basa, (Pune, 2007).
• Recent Research Trends in South Asian Archaeology.Edited by K. Paddayya, P.P. Joglekar, K. K. Basa & R. Sawant (Pune 2009)
• Megalithic Traditions in India (2 vols.) Edited by K. K. Basa, R. K.. Mohanty and S.B. Ota. New Delhi: Aryan Publications (2015)
• Multiple Heritage: Role of Specialised Museums in India. Edited by K. K. Basa (Bhopal & New Delhi, 2010).
• Museology: A Comprehensive Bibliography and Webliography. Edited by K. K. Basa, Mohd. Rehan & Ravindra Gupta (Bhopal &New Delhi, 2007).
• Understanding Heritage:Role of Museums. Edited by S. K. Ghosh Maulik & K. K. Basa (Bhubaneswar 2001).
Papers Published (Anthropology & Archaeology)
• 2018 Culture and Politics in Colonial Odisha: The Case of Archaeology. In The Unbilled Hour: Essays on Literature, Culture and Theory, edited by Bijay K. Danta, S. Deepika and Tyagraj Thakur (pp. 38-58).. Bhubaneswar Kitab Bhavan .
• 2018 Colonised as Coloniser: Historiography of Indian Writings on South East Asian Archaeology during Early Twentieth Century. Global Journal of Archaeology and Anthropology 4(4).
• 2015 Mortuary Practices and Megalithic Traditions of the Gadabas and Parajas of Orissa: An Ethnoarchaeological Study. In Megalithic Traditions in India: Archaeology and Ethnography, edited by K. K. Basa, R. K. Mohanty and S.B. Ota, (pp 751-70).
• 2013 Prehistory of Orissa. In Imaging Orissa, edited by Hermann Kulke, Nibedita Mohanty, Gaganendra Nath Dash & Dinanath Pathy.
• 2013 Neolithic and Chalcolithic Culture of Odisha: An Overview. In Neolithic Cultures of India, edited by K.N.Dixit (jointly with D.Sahoo), Indian Archaeological society, New Delhi (pp-173-183).
• 2012 Anthropological Perspectives in Archaeology. In Plural Nature of Anthropology, Edited by A.K.Danda, K.K.Basa and K.K. MIshra, Indian Anthropological Society, Kolkata, (pp.305-50)
• 2012 Traditional Salt Making among the Meiteis of Manipur: A study on Intangible Cultural Heritage. In Traditional Knowledge System and Technology in India (edited by B.K. Mohanta & V.K. Singh) 91-109
• 2010 History and Historiography of Orissan Archaeology during Colonial Period. (The First Professor K.S. Behera Memorial Lecture in Orissa History Congress,2010).Journal of Orissan History XXIII:248-63
• 2008 Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam: An Introduction. In Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam, Edited by K.K.Basa and Birinchi Medhi, Prativa Prakashan, Delhi.
• 2007 Anthropological Perspectives in Archaeology: Some Examples from India, In Anthropology for Archaeology, Proceedings of the Professor Irawati Karve Birth Centenary Seminar, edited by S.R. Walimbe, P.P. Jogalekar and K.K. Basa, Deccan College, Pune (pp.113-138).
• 2007 Social Theory and Indian Archaeology: A Historiographical Study during the Colonial Period, Presidential Speech in Archaeology Section of the Indian History Congress (67th Session) held in Kozhikode (Kerala) in March.
• 2006 Odisaro Pratanatta: Eko Itihastattiko Vishleshana (in Oriya) In Parmananda Parikrama (A collection of Parmananda Memorial Letures), edited by Birendra Nayak, The Freelancers, Bhubaneswar (pp. 85-116)
• 2006 Mortuary Practices of the Daroi Gond: A Study of Their Intangible Cultural Heritage. Humankind, Vol.-2: 59-84. (Jointly with Surya K. Pandey, Basanta K. Mohanta and Riyaz A. Khan).
• 2006 Archaeology of Orissa: A Historiographic Study. In Interrogating History: Essays for Hermann Kulke, edited by M. Brandtner a~d S.K. Panda, Manohar, Delhi (pp.23-61).
• 2005 Nationalism Beyond Nation: Indian Writings on Early History and Archaeology of Southeast Asia during Colonial Period. Humankind 1: 205-224.
• 2005 Situating V.N. Misra in Indian Archaeology: A Historiographical Account. In Gurudakshina: Facets of Indian Archaeology edited by Alok Kanungo, BAR International, Oxford (pp.66-89).
• 2005 From the Desk of the General Editor: Celebrating the Intangible Cultural Heritage of India. In Tribal Myths and Legends of Orissa by B.K. Tripathy (Vol. No.1 of our Series on Intangible Cultural Heritage of India).
• 2004 Imagining Orissa: Archaeology, Art History and Cultural Identity. In Text and Context in the History, Literature and Religion of Orissa, edited by A. Malinar, J. Beltz, H. Frese, New Delhi: Manohar. .
• 2004 Globalization and Nationalism: Implications for Indian Archaeology. In (pp.167-182), Issues and Themes in Anthropology, edited by V. Srivastava and M. Singh, Delhi: Palaka Prakashan.
• 2004 A New Hoard of Punch Marked Coins from Ghumal, Northern Orissa. Orissa Historical Research Journal XLVI(i): 99-102. (Jointly with B.K. Mohanta, T.Das and D. Sahoo) .
• 2003 Pre-industrial Iron Smelting in Mayurbhanj, Northern Orissa: An Ethnographic Study. Man and Environment XXVIII(2): 81-90. (Jointly with B.K. Mohanta, P. Chattopadhyaya and T.K. Das.)
• 2001 Small is Useful: Importance of Bead Study in South Asian Archaeology. In (pp.389-418) S. Settar and R. Korisettar (eds.) Indian Archaeology in Retrospect Vol. 1 Prehistory. Delhi: Manohar and I.C.H.R.
• 2001 Comment on “The Bronze Age: Unique Instance of a Pre-industrial World System” by S. Ratnagar. Current Anthropology 42(3):365-6.
• 2000 History of Archaeology in Orissa. In (pp. 16-61) K.K. Basa and P. Mohanty (ed.) Archaeology of Orissa. Delhi: Pratibha Prakashan.
• 2000 Neolithic Culture of Pallahara, Central Orissa. In (pp. 264-84) K.K. Basa and P. Mohanty (eds.). (Jointly with T. Das and B.K. Mohanta).
• 2000 Maritime Archaeology of Orissa. In (pp. 566-600) K.K. Basa and P. Mohanty (eds.). (Jointly with K.S. Behera).
• 2000 Mesolithic Culture Around Duburi- Tamaka Region in Orissa. Man in India 80: 121-40. (Jointly with D. Sahoo).
• 2000 Review of India: An archaeological History by D.K. Chakrabarti. Antiquity 74:448-9.
• 2000 Review of Subalterns and Sovereigns: An Anthropological History of Bastar, 1854-1996 by Nandini Sundar. Indian Historical Review 27(1):115-7.
• 1999 Neolithic and Post-neolithic cultures of Orissa: an overview. In (pp. 9-31) S Pradhan (ed.) Orissa: History, Culture and Archaeology. New Delhi: D.K. Printworld.
• 1999 Archaeological Investigations on the Coast of Chilika Lake. In (pp. 75-82) S. Pradhan (ed.) Orissa: History, Culture and Archaeology. (Jointly with P. Mohanty and J. Mishra).
• 1999 Indo-Roman Trade. In (pp. 15-26) K.S. .Behera (ed.) Maritime Heritage of India. New Delhi: Aryan Books.
• 1999 Early Trade in the Indian Ocean: Perspectives on Indo-Southeast Asian Maritime Contacts (c. 400 BC – AD 500). In (pp. 29-71) K.S. Behera (ed.) Maritime Heritage of India.
• 1999 Stone Age Cultures Around Burla, Western Orissa. The Orissa Historical Research Journal XLIII: 13-26. (Jointly with B.K. Mohanta). .
• 1998 Indian Writings on Early History and Archaeology of Southeast Asia: A Historiographical Analysis. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (London) 8(3):395-410.
• 1998 Bronze Knobbed-Vessels from Wari, Bangladesh: implications for trade International Journal of Bengal Art 3:291-8. (Jointly with S.S.M. Rahman).
• 1998 Tribal cultures of Orissa and their implications for archaeology. In (pp.27-¬55) S.K. Sethi and S. Pani (ed.) Tribal Culture of Orissa. Bhubaneswar.
• 1998 Archaeological Remains of Gopalpur, Coastal Orissa. Man and Environment 23(1): 107-14 (Jointly with S.K. Kar and P. Joglekar).
• 1997 Cultural Relations Between Orissa and Southeast Asia: an archaeological perspective. In (pp. 730-41) P.K. Mishra (ed.) Comprehensive History and Culture of Orissa.
• 1996 Archaeological Approaches and Ethnographic Models for Trade and Exchange: A Critical Study. Eastern Anthropologist 49(2): 109-38.
• 1995 Archaeological heritage. In (pp. 18-45) P.K. Mishra (ed.) Comprehensive History and Culture of Orissa. New Delhi: Kaveri Books.
• 1995 Problems and Perspectives in Orissan Prehistoric Archaeology. In (pp. 229-40) A. Datta, A.K. Ghosh and C. Margabandhu (eds.) India at the Dawn of History. Delhi: Agam Kala Prakashan.
• 1994-95 Early Westerly Trade of Southeast Asia; A World system perspective. Bulletin of the Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute (54¬55: 357-75).
• 1994 Problems and Perspectives in Archaeology of Orissa, India. Occasional Paper 4, Department of anthropology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
• 1993 A Note on Drilling Method of Glass Bead Making. Archeomaterials 7:53¬6.
• 1993 Manufacturing Methods of Monochrome Glass Beads in Southeast Asia. Man and Environment 18(1):93-1 00.
• 1993 Archaeology and Politics in India: A Preliminary Statement. Man in Society 7:29-40.
• 1992 Early Glass Beads in India. South Asian Studies 8:91-104.
• 1992 Early Historic Glass Beads in Thailand and Peninsular Malaysia. In (pp. 85-102) I.C. Glover (ed.) Southeast Asian Archaeology 1990. Hull: University of Hull.
• 1992 Ethno-Archaeology of Orissa: A Review. Man in Society 6:79-106.
• 1991 The Iron Age in Southeast Asia. Papers from the Institute of Archaeology (London) 2:52-64.
• 1991 The Relationship Between Early Southeast Asian and Indian glass. Bulletin of the Indo-Pacific Prehistory Association 10:366-85 Jointly with I.C. Glover and J. Henderson).
• 1991 Beads and Their Importance in Archaeology. Man in Society 5:94-102.
• 1988 Review of Cultural Relations Between India and Southeast Asian Countries by H.B. Sarkar. Bulletin of the Institute of Archaeology (London) 25:71-3.
• 1986-87 Origin and Decline of the Harappan Civilization. Manav 2: 155-72.
Papers on Museums
• (In press) Museum as a Facilitator of Education. In Museum Education edited by Manvi Seth and Carol Reed.
• 2016 Anthropology and Museums in India. In A Companion to South Asia in the Past edited by Gwen Robbins Schug and Subhas R. Walimbe. Willey- Blackwell.
• 2015 Museum and Megaliths: An Open Air Display in Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal . (along with S.B. Ota and R. M. Nayal). In Megalithic Traditions in India: Archaeology and Ethnography, edited by K. K. Basa, R. K. Mohanty and S.B. Ota, (pp 795-801)
• 2012 Museum and Sustainable Development. Humankind 8:27-44
• 2010 Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya (National Museum of mankind): A Museum with a difference.(jointly with G.Jayaprakashan). In Multiple Heritage: Role of Specialized Museums in India Edited by K.K.Basa, IGRMS, Bhopal & Serials Publications, New Delhi,2010, (pp.277-98).
• 2009 Archaeology and Beyond: A perspective on Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya , Bhopal. In Recent Research Trends in South Asian Archaeology, edited by K. Paddayya, P.P. Joglekar, K.K. Basa and R. Sawant, Deccan College, Pune, (pp.419-32).
• 2009 Museums in India :From Colonial Constructs to Post- Colonial Engagements. (The Second Professor B.M. Das Memorial Lecture delivered at INCAA Conference at IGRMS Bhopal), INCAA, Jhargram.
• 2008 Museum and Understanding of Culture: Some Issues and Challenges. Journal of Indian Museums LXI:1-6 (March 2008).
• 2007 Culture and Development in the Third World, Presidential Speech for Indian Science Congress, 94th Session, held at Annamalai University in Jan.
• 2007 Srinivas and National Museum of Mankind, In M.N. Srinivas- The Man and His Work edited by P.K. Misra, K.K. Basa and H.K. Bhat, IGRMS, Bhopal and Rawat Publications, Jaipur, (pp.63-76).
• 2004 Globalisation and Cultural Heritage in the Third World. Journal of the Indian Anthropological Society, 39 (3): 227-254.
• 2001 Globalization and Cultural Heritage: Implications for Museum. In (pp.1¬25) S.K. Ghoshmaulik and K.K. Basa (eds.) Understanding Heritage: Role of Museum. Bhubaneswar: Academic Staff College, Utkal University.
• Surajmal Saha Memorial Gold Medal for securing the 1st position in the whole of Odisha in H.S.C. Exam 1973
• Prof. Ghanshyam Dash Memorial Gold Medal for 1st Class 1st in B.A. History (Hons.) Exam 1977 in Utkal University
• Ph. D. from University of London relating to early trade between India and Southeast Asia in 1991
• Visiting Associate of UGC at Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute, Pune (1994-1996).
• a recipient of the Indo-French Cultural Exchange Fellowship in 1997
• Commonwealth Post-Doctoral Academic Staff Fellow at the University of Cambridge in 1999-2000
• Former President, Archaeology Section of Indian History Congress, 2007
• Former President, Anthropological and Behavioural Sciences Section of Indian Science Congress, 2007
• Delivered the Presidential address in the Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Prehistoric and Quaternary Studies in 2011 at Thiruvananthapuram
• Delivered a number of Endowment Lectures including Panchanan Mitra Memorial Lecture in 2007 at Asiatic Society, Kolkata, Prof. B. M. Das Memorial Lecture in 2010 at the annual congress of the Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists (INCAA) at Bhopal, Dharani Sen Memorial Lecture in 2014 at the annual Conference of the Indian Anthropological Society at Raipur
Administrative Experience (Government of India) (from 2004 to 2010)
1. Director, Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal, (Ministry of Culture, GOI (June 2004 – November, 2008)
2.Director, Indian Museum, Kolkata (December, 2008 – December, 2010)
3.Director, Anthropological Survey of India (Additional Charge) (December,2009-December, 2010)
4.Head, Department of Anthropology, 2001-03
5.Co-ordinator, Centre of Advanced Study (UGC), Department of Anthropology, Utkal University from 2011 to 2018
6.Member, Syndicate (the highest executive body of the University),
7.Member, Academic Council
8.Director, Internal Quality Assurance Cell,
9.Warden, Post Graduate Hostels (14 Hostels)
10.Director, Self-Financing Courses
11.Member, University Research Committee