|University of Delhi||March, 2014||Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology
Thesis Title: A Genomic Study on the Sub-Structured Chaudhari Tribe of Southern Gujarat
Areas: Human Population Genetics
Advisor: Prof. Gautam K. Kshatriya
|University of Delhi||2006 – 2008||M.Sc.
Department of Anthropology
|University of Delhi||2003 – 2006||Bachelor of Science
Department of Zoology
|Utkal University||Nov. 2015 –present||Assistant Professor (Stage –II)|
|Dr. Hari Singh Gour University , Sagar, MP||May. 2013 – Nov. 2015||Assistant Professor|
Designation: Principal Investigator
Topic: OSHEC Funded: An Anthropological study of children malnutrition among Bonda tribe of Odisha
Designation: Principal Investigator
Topic: Utkal university Seed grant Genomic and Evolutionary implication of Genome diversity studies among the tribe of Odisha
|University of Delhi
Designation: Research Assistant
Topics: DBT funded project entitled “Genomic heterogeneity among the tribes of south Gujarat
|August 2008- February 2009|
|Department of Anthropology, Utkal University
Social and Cultural Anthropology (ANTH-C-1)
Biological Anthropology and Human Genetics (Anth-C-2)
General Practical : Biological and Forensic Anthropology (Anth-C-6)
Indian Society and Applied Anthropology (Anth-C-6)
Ecological Anthropology (Anth-C-7)
Human Biology (ANTH-CE-B1)
Human Molecular Genetics (ANTH-CE-B2)
Anthropological Theories on Society (ANTH-CE-A3)
Practical Research Methods and Ethnography readings
Fieldwork and Dissertations
Duties: Teaching , Research and Mentoring
|Department Anthropology, Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University Sagar , MP
M.A/ M.Sc Anthropology
And B.A./B.Sc Anthropology
Human population genetics
Human Growth and Development
Duties: Teaching , Research and Mentoring
Book Articles (Authored/Edited)
- Policy Document, Programme Implementation plan monitoring report entrusted by the Ministry to lay before assembly in 2018-19 in four districts of Odisha, submitted to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. Of India.
- Policy Document, Programme Implementation plan monitoring report entrusted by the Ministry to lay before assembly in 2019-20 in Eight districts of Odisha, submitted to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. Of India.
- P Khurana, Discovery and Techniques for Recovering Skeletonized Human Remains (Book Chapter) in Introduction to Forensic Anthropology IGNOU, 2021)
- P Khurana. Archaic Homo sapiens (Book Chapter)in Fundamental of Human Origin and Evolution , IGNOU. 2018. https://egyankosh.ac.in/bitstream/123456789/65881/1/Unit-9.pdf
- P Khurana .Genomic Identity of populations of India: An Anthropological Insight India and Western aspects of Identity , 2017. ISBN 9789385329227
- P Khurana, Human Skeleton (Book Chapter) in Understanding Forensic Science through Anthropology, IGNOU, 2016.
- P.Khurana, ¨ An Ethnographic Note on the Chaudhari Tribe of Southern Gujarat, Man in Society, 2019 ISSN : 2347-1530
- P.Khurana. Patterns of population sub-structuring among Chaudhary tribe of Southern Gujarat. Man In Society, 2017;24: 38-41.
- Mitra, P. Khurana, T. Panmei, G.K. Kshatriya. Global Paraoxonase 1 Gln192Arg(Q192R) allele frequencies with new data from India. Environmental Toxicologyand Pharmacology 2016, 39 (3): 1051-6. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1382668915000654?via%3Dihub
- P.Khurana, A. Aggarwal, S. Mitra, Y. M. Italia, K.N. Saraswathy, A. Chandrasekar,G.K. Kshatriya;Y chromosome haplogroup distribution in Indo-European speaking tribes of Gujarat, Western India; PLOS ONE, 2014; 9 (3) e90414. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3948632/pdf/pone.0090414.pdf
- Aggarwal, P. Khurana, Siuli Mitra, Bhavesh Raicha, Yazdi M. Italia, K.N.Saraswathy and Gautam K. Kshatriya; Distribution of beta-globin haplotypes among the tribes of southern Gujarat,India; Gene, 2013; 521(2):287-92.
- P.Khurana, A. Aggarwal, H. S. Singh and G. K. Kshatriya; Haptoglobin polymorphism among thetribes of southern Gujarat; Indian Journal of HumanGenetics, 2011; 17 (3). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3276985/
- Kabita, P. Khurana, K. N. Saraswathy and M.P. Sachdeva; Status of Glucose 6 Phosphate Dehydrogenase defficiency among the Rajputs and Brahmins of Solan district, Himachal Pradesh;The Anthropologist; 2011; 13(1): 39-41. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09720073.2011.11891175
- K. Kshatriya, A. Aggarwal, P. Khurana and Y. M. Italia; Genomic congruence ofIndo-European speaking tribes of westerm India with dravidian speakingpopulations of southern India: A study of 20 autosomal DNA markers; Annals ofHuman Biology; 2011; 38(5): 583-591. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/03014460.2011.577455?needAccess=true
- K. Kshatriya, A. Aggarwal, P. Khurana, H. S. Singh, Y.M.Italia, K. N.Saraswathy and P. K.Ghosh; Genomic and Linguistic Affinities: A study of allelic and haplotype diversity at DRD2 locus among the tribes of Gujarat, Western India;Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers; 2010; 14(2): 215-223. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/epub/10.1089/gtmb.2009.0166
Refereed Conference Publications
- P.Khurana and K. Sahoo. Heterogeneous Health Seeking Behaviour Among Juang Tribe of Banspal Block,Keonjhar, Odisha. INCAA-2022 at Department of Anthropology,Hydrabad University on Feburaray, 2022.
- P.Khurana The dynamics between Covid-19 and Human Microbiome; an Anthropological assessment at National Applied anthropological Congress- Anthropology for India, Department of Anthropology , Andhra University on December, 2021.
- P.Khurana. Mapping the patterns of childhood malnutrition among the Bondo children of Odisha : A multilevel analysis in OSHEC, Odisha Research Conclave-2021 on November 2021
- Khurana, Ethics in human genetics research in WORLD Bank -OHEPEE and Rusa 2.0 sponsored international conference on Science, Society and politics in South Asia organized by COE OF North East India studies and International Office from March, 2020.
- P.Khurana, African by ancestry Indian by Nationality: A case study of Siddis of India Community, Caste and Tribe in Odisha at P.G. Department of Anthropology, Utkal University , Bhubaneswar January-2019
- P.Khurana, Characterization of Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease; Nociceptive versus Neuropathic Pain t Indian Anthropology congress, 2019 , Indian Anthropology congress, 2019
- P.Khurana, Integrating tribal health culture into modern health care: problem and prospects, Understanding tribes in neo-liberal era , World Bank –OHEPEE P.G Department of Anthropology, Utkal university, March, 2019
- P.Khurana, Culture and Climate : An insight from Anthropological Prespectives 20th Odisha Bigyan ‘O’ Paribesh Congress (OBPC) NISER, , Bhubaneswar, November, 2018
- P.Khurana A polymorphism study of the human serum paraoxonase 1 gene amongfour populations of India, at Genomics and Cultural Variation of Indian Populations: An Appraisal of Health and Disease Susceptibility organized by P.G Department of Anthropology, Sri venkateswara university,Tirupati, Feb, 2017
Selected Unrefereed Reports:
- P.Khurana ,“Title of the News Paper Article: Paradigm and Paradoxes related to Pandemic of 2020.”. Orissa today, 06 May 2020.
- P.Khurana , “Title of the News Paper Article: Future of India’s population expansion; an apocalyptic prophecy or an ungrounded panic”. The Pioneer, 13 the July
- Ms. Sasmita Sahoo, Phd Scholar (Utkal University) –Topic/ Thesis: An Anthropological study of mother and children nutritional status among the Bonda Tribe of Odisha
- An Anthropological srudy of nutritional status among children of Bonda tribe of Odisha (PI): The project aims to investigate the status of malnutrition among the Bonda tribe children under five year of age groups and attempts to evaluate the socio-cultural reasons for it. , Funding Agency: OURIIP , OSHEC , Status : On going
- Evolutionary and Social Implications of Genome diversity Study among ethnic group of Odisha (PI): : The project aims at evaluating the genetic and phenotypic variation with respect to pain observed among the patients with sickle cell anaemia from the tribal communities. Funding Agency: Utkal University Seed Grant, Status : Completed
- DBT, India Travel Award to attend Human Genome Meeting at Sydney, 2013.
- UGC-NET-JRF Award, March, 2009
- Attendee of Refresher Programme in Tribal Studies from 8th January – 21st January 2021from UGC-HRDC, Utkal University
- Short term course on Disaster management and climate change at UGC-HRDC, Utkal University from Oct 17 – 21, 2020
- Attendee of Refresher Programme in disaster Management from 15 January to 04 February, 2018 from UGC-HRDC, Utkal University
- Attendee of Orientation programme from 25th Nov-23rd Dec 2016 from CPDHE, University of Delhi
- Short term course on Stress Management at UGC-HRDC, Utkal University 20-25th July, 2017
- Co-Chair session on Anthropological Genetics for Indian Anthropology Congress 2021 held from February 21-23, 2021at University of Delhi
- Organized organised e-syposium on Covid-19 and Women on 24th july, 2020
- Organized a two-day online conference in collaboration with Save the Children, on Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health rights (SRHR), in the times of COVID & Adolescent and youth skilling and decent employment in the times of COVID India on 12th and 13th October, 2020.
- Co-Organized Workshop on Scientific Research Paper Writing Workshop from 31st oct- 1st Nov, 2017 P.G department of anthropology, Utkal university
- Co-Organized workshop on National workshop on research methodology in social sciences , from 15-17th February, 2018 Anthropological survey of India sponsored at P.G department of anthropology, Utkal university
- Journal Reviewing: Editorial Board member of Man in Society , Department of Anthropology, Utkal University
- Administrative Experience: Positions held
- Superintendent Ladies Hostel -04 ( Malati Devi Chatri niwas)
- Assistant Superintendent, Ladies Hostel -04 ( Malati Devi Chatri niwas)
- Deputy director, Population Research centre ( MoHFW)
- Assistant Deputy Director, Population Research centre ( MoHFW)
- Co coordinator , Master in Public Health , Utkal University Chandikhol campus
- Member of Department committees like e-admission committee, library technical committee, Teacher-in charge of scientific equipment, Teacher in charge for biological anthropology Lab, member of committee of Student Seminar
Member of Association & Societies:
- Life time Member of Indian Society of Human Genetics
- Life time Member of Indian Science Congress
- Member of The United Indian Anthropology Forum