- Genome Diversity, Mother and Child health, Genetic Epidemiology
|University of Delhi||March, 2014||Ph.D.
Department of Anthropology
Thesis Title: A Genomic Study on the Sub-Structured Chaudhari Tribe of Southern Gujarat
Areas: Human Population Genetics
Advisor: Prof. Gautam K. Kshatriya
|University of Delhi||2006 – 2008||M.Sc.
Department of Anthropology
|University of Delhi||2003 – 2006||Bachelor of Science
Department of Zoology
|Utkal University||Nov. 2015 –present||Assistant Professor (Stage –II)|
|Dr. Hari Singh Gour University , Sagar, MP||May. 2013 – Nov. 2015||Assistant Professor|
Designation: Principal Investigator
Topic: OSHEC Funded: An Anthropological study of children malnutrition among Bonda tribe of Odisha
Designation: Principal Investigator
Topic: Utkal university Seed grant Genomic and Evolutionary implication of Genome diversity studies among the tribe of Odisha
|University of Delhi
Designation: Research Assistant
Topics: DBT funded project entitled “Genomic heterogeneity among the tribes of south Gujarat
|August 2008- February 2009|
|Department of Anthropology, Utkal University
Social and Cultural Anthropology (ANTH-C-1)
Biological Anthropology and Human Genetics (Anth-C-2)
General Practical : Biological and Forensic Anthropology (Anth-C-6)
Indian Society and Applied Anthropology (Anth-C-6)
Ecological Anthropology (Anth-C-7)
Human Biology (ANTH-CE-B1)
Human Molecular Genetics (ANTH-CE-B2)
Anthropological Theories on Society (ANTH-CE-A3)
Practical Research Methods and Ethnography readings
Fieldwork and Dissertations
Duties: Teaching , Research and Mentoring
|Department Anthropology, Dr. Harisingh Gour Central University Sagar , MP
M.A/ M.Sc Anthropology
And B.A./B.Sc Anthropology
Human population genetics
Human Growth and Development
Duties: Teaching , Research and Mentoring
Book Articles (Authored/Edited)
- Policy Document, Programme Implementation plan monitoring report entrusted by the Ministry to lay before assembly in 2018-19 in four districts of Odisha, submitted to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. Of India.
- Policy Document, Programme Implementation plan monitoring report entrusted by the Ministry to lay before assembly in 2019-20 in Eight districts of Odisha, submitted to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. Of India.
- P Khurana, Discovery and Techniques for Recovering Skeletonized Human Remains (Book Chapter) in Introduction to Forensic Anthropology IGNOU, 2021)
- P Khurana. Archaic Homo sapiens (Book Chapter)in Fundamental of Human Origin and Evolution , IGNOU. 2018. https://egyankosh.ac.in/bitstream/123456789/65881/1/Unit-9.pdf
- P Khurana .Genomic Identity of populations of India: An Anthropological Insight India and Western aspects of Identity , 2017. ISBN 9789385329227
- P Khurana, Human Skeleton (Book Chapter) in Understanding Forensic Science through Anthropology, IGNOU, 2016.
- Sahoo K, Nayak SR, Khurana P. The pattern of healthseeking behavior among Juang tribe A particularly vulnerable tribal group of Odisha, India. Indian J Community Med 2023;48:696-701.
- P.Khurana, ¨ An Ethnographic Note on the Chaudhari Tribe of Southern Gujarat, Man in Society, 2019 ISSN : 2347-1530
- P.Khurana. Patterns of population sub-structuring among Chaudhary tribe of Southern Gujarat. Man In Society, 2017;24: 38-41.
- Mitra, P. Khurana, T. Panmei, G.K. Kshatriya. Global Paraoxonase 1 Gln192Arg(Q192R) allele frequencies with new data from India. Environmental Toxicologyand Pharmacology 2016, 39 (3): 1051-6. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1382668915000654?via%3Dihub
- P.Khurana, A. Aggarwal, S. Mitra, Y. M. Italia, K.N. Saraswathy, A. Chandrasekar,G.K. Kshatriya;Y chromosome haplogroup distribution in Indo-European speaking tribes of Gujarat, Western India; PLOS ONE, 2014; 9 (3) e90414. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3948632/pdf/pone.0090414.pdf
- Aggarwal, P. Khurana, Siuli Mitra, Bhavesh Raicha, Yazdi M. Italia, K.N.Saraswathy and Gautam K. Kshatriya; Distribution of beta-globin haplotypes among the tribes of southern Gujarat,India; Gene, 2013; 521(2):287-92.
- P.Khurana, A. Aggarwal, H. S. Singh and G. K. Kshatriya; Haptoglobin polymorphism among thetribes of southern Gujarat; Indian Journal of HumanGenetics, 2011; 17 (3). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3276985/
- Kabita, P. Khurana, K. N. Saraswathy and M.P. Sachdeva; Status of Glucose 6 Phosphate Dehydrogenase defficiency among the Rajputs and Brahmins of Solan district, Himachal Pradesh;The Anthropologist; 2011; 13(1): 39-41. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09720073.2011.11891175
- K. Kshatriya, A. Aggarwal, P. Khurana and Y. M. Italia; Genomic congruence ofIndo-European speaking tribes of westerm India with dravidian speakingpopulations of southern India: A study of 20 autosomal DNA markers; Annals ofHuman Biology; 2011; 38(5): 583-591. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/03014460.2011.577455?needAccess=true
- K. Kshatriya, A. Aggarwal, P. Khurana, H. S. Singh, Y.M.Italia, K. N.Saraswathy and P. K.Ghosh; Genomic and Linguistic Affinities: A study of allelic and haplotype diversity at DRD2 locus among the tribes of Gujarat, Western India;Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers; 2010; 14(2): 215-223. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/epub/10.1089/gtmb.2009.0166
Refereed Conference Publications
- P.Khurana and K. Sahoo. Heterogeneous Health Seeking Behaviour Among Juang Tribe of Banspal Block,Keonjhar, Odisha. INCAA-2022 at Department of Anthropology,Hydrabad University on Feburaray, 2022.
- P.Khurana The dynamics between Covid-19 and Human Microbiome; an Anthropological assessment at National Applied anthropological Congress- Anthropology for India, Department of Anthropology , Andhra University on December, 2021.
- P.Khurana. Mapping the patterns of childhood malnutrition among the Bondo children of Odisha : A multilevel analysis in OSHEC, Odisha Research Conclave-2021 on November 2021
- Khurana, Ethics in human genetics research in WORLD Bank -OHEPEE and Rusa 2.0 sponsored international conference on Science, Society and politics in South Asia organized by COE OF North East India studies and International Office from March, 2020.
- P.Khurana, African by ancestry Indian by Nationality: A case study of Siddis of India Community, Caste and Tribe in Odisha at P.G. Department of Anthropology, Utkal University , Bhubaneswar January-2019
- P.Khurana, Characterization of Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease; Nociceptive versus Neuropathic Pain t Indian Anthropology congress, 2019 , Indian Anthropology congress, 2019
- P.Khurana, Integrating tribal health culture into modern health care: problem and prospects, Understanding tribes in neo-liberal era , World Bank –OHEPEE P.G Department of Anthropology, Utkal university, March, 2019
- P.Khurana, Culture and Climate : An insight from Anthropological Prespectives 20th Odisha Bigyan ‘O’ Paribesh Congress (OBPC) NISER, , Bhubaneswar, November, 2018
- P.Khurana A polymorphism study of the human serum paraoxonase 1 gene amongfour populations of India, at Genomics and Cultural Variation of Indian Populations: An Appraisal of Health and Disease Susceptibility organized by P.G Department of Anthropology, Sri venkateswara university,Tirupati, Feb, 2017
Selected Unrefereed Reports:
- P.Khurana ,“Title of the News Paper Article: Paradigm and Paradoxes related to Pandemic of 2020.”. Orissa today, 06 May 2020.
- P.Khurana , “Title of the News Paper Article: Future of India’s population expansion; an apocalyptic prophecy or an ungrounded panic”. The Pioneer, 13 the July
- Ms. Sasmita Sahoo, Phd Scholar (Utkal University) –Topic/ Thesis: An Anthropological study of mother and children nutritional status among the Bonda Tribe of Odisha
- Mr. Soumya Ranjan Nayak, Phd Scholar (Utkal University) –Topic/ Thesis: “Gut Bacterial Diversity and Nutrient Intake Pattern Among the Tibetan Population in Odisha”
- An Anthropological srudy of nutritional status among children of Bonda tribe of Odisha (PI): The project aims to investigate the status of malnutrition among the Bonda tribe children under five year of age groups and attempts to evaluate the socio-cultural reasons for it. , Funding Agency: OURIIP , OSHEC , Status : On going
- Evolutionary and Social Implications of Genome diversity Study among ethnic group of Odisha (PI): : The project aims at evaluating the genetic and phenotypic variation with respect to pain observed among the patients with sickle cell anaemia from the tribal communities. Funding Agency: Utkal University Seed Grant, Status : Completed
- Paper presented on “Dual pattern of healthcare: among Tribes of Odisha” in the World Anthropology Post Congress International Seminar organized by Utkal University, Bhubaneswar on 16th August 2023.
- Paper presented on “Addressing Neuropathic pain in sickle cell disease” in the World Anthropology Congress hosted by KISS University, Odisha from 10th to 16th August 2023.
- Paper presented on “Status of malnutrition among the Bondo Children of Odisha” at the Odisha Research Conclave hosted by OSHEC & Ravenshaw University, India from 14th to 16th November 2022.
- Paper presented on “Y chromosome haplo group distribution in Indo-European speaking tribes of Gujarat, western India” at the Annual Conference of ISHG & International Symposium on New Genetics and its contribution to Human Health and Wealth hosted by Andhra University from 23rd to 25th January 2023.
- Paper presented on “Maternal and Child Health Status among the Santals of Mayurbhanj and Juangs of Keonjhar Districts of Odisha” at the Indian Anthropology Congress 2022 hosted by the Department of Anthropology, University of Hyderabad in collaboration with the Indian National Confederation and Academy of Anthropologists on 21st and 22nd February 2022.
- Paper presented on “The dynamics between Covid-19 and Human Microbiome; an Anthropological assessment” at the National Applied Anthropological Congress –Anthropology for India on Bringing Anthropological application to address contemporary issues hosted by the Department of Anthropology, Andhra University in collaboration with from 8th to 11th December 2021.
- Paper presented on “Status of Childhood malnutrition” at the Odisha Research Conclave- 2021 hosted by OSHEC, Govt. of Odisha, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India on 13th November 2021.
- Paper presented on “Genetics and Society: Need for Expanding Ethical Concerns” at the International Conference on Science, Society, and Politics in South Asia organized by World bank-OHEPEE and RUSA 2.0 on 3rd and 4th March 2020.
- Paper presented on “Culture and Climate: An insight from Anthropological Perspectives” at the 20th Odisha Bigyan ‘O’ Paribesh Congress (OBPC) held at NISER, Bhubaneswar, India from November 17th to 18th, 2018.
- Paper presented on “African by ancestry, Indian by Nationality: A case study of Siddis of India” at the National Seminar on Narrating Local History: Community, Caste, and Tribe in Odisha hosted by P.G. Department of Anthropology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar on 25th January 2019.
- Paper presented on “Characterization of Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease; Nociceptive versus Neuropathic Pain” at the Indian Anthropology Congress, 2019 held at Sabitri Phule University, Pune from 21st to 23rd February 2019.
- Paper presented on “Integrating tribal health culture into modern health care: problem and prospects” at the International Seminar on Understanding tribes in neo-liberal era hosted by P.G Department of Anthropology, Utkal university from 9th to 10th March 2019.
- Paper presented on “A polymorphism study of the human serum paraoxonase 1 gene among four populations of India” at the National Seminar “Genomics and Cultural Variation of Indian Populations: An Appraisal of Health and Disease Susceptibility” in Tirupati, India, on 23rd and 24th February 2017.
- DBT, India Travel Award to attend Human Genome Meeting at Sydney, 2013.
- UGC-NET-JRF Award, March, 2009
- Best poster award at Odisha Research Conclave, 2022 organized by OSHEC & Ravenshaw University.
- Attendee of Refresher Programme in Tribal Studies from 8th January – 21st January 2021from UGC-HRDC, Utkal University
- Short term course on Disaster management and climate change at UGC-HRDC, Utkal University from Oct 17 – 21, 2020
- Attendee of Refresher Programme in disaster Management from 15 January to 04 February, 2018 from UGC-HRDC, Utkal University
- Attendee of Orientation programme from 25th Nov-23rd Dec 2016 from CPDHE, University of Delhi
- Short term course on Stress Management at UGC-HRDC, Utkal University 20-25th July, 2017
- Co-Chair session on Anthropological Genetics for Indian Anthropology Congress 2021 held from February 21-23, 2021at University of Delhi
- Organized organised e-syposium on Covid-19 and Women on 24th july, 2020
- Organized a two-day online conference in collaboration with Save the Children, on Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health rights (SRHR), in the times of COVID & Adolescent and youth skilling and decent employment in the times of COVID India on 12th and 13th October, 2020.
- Co-Organized Workshop on Scientific Research Paper Writing Workshop from 31st oct- 1st Nov, 2017 P.G department of anthropology, Utkal university
- Co-Organized workshop on National workshop on research methodology in social sciences , from 15-17th February, 2018 Anthropological survey of India sponsored at P.G department of anthropology, Utkal university
- Journal Reviewing: Editorial Board member of Man in Society , Department of Anthropology, Utkal University
- Administrative Experience: Positions held
- Superintendent Ladies Hostel -04 ( Malati Devi Chatri niwas)
- Assistant Superintendent, Ladies Hostel -04 ( Malati Devi Chatri niwas)
- Deputy director, Population Research centre ( MoHFW)
- Assistant Deputy Director, Population Research centre ( MoHFW)
- Co coordinator , Master in Public Health , Utkal University Chandikhol campus
- Member of Department committees like e-admission committee, library technical committee, Teacher-in charge of scientific equipment, Teacher in charge for biological anthropology Lab, member of committee of Student Seminar
Member of Association & Societies:
- Life time Member of Indian Society of Human Genetics
- Life time Member of Indian Science Congress
- Member of The United Indian Anthropology Forum