Brief history of the Department:
The Post-Graduate Department of History was founded on 1st December 1959 at the then Ravenshaw College, Cuttack. It was shifted to Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar in July 1962 when the University moved to its present premises from Cuttack. Ever since the Department is functioning in the Old Arts Block of the University. The founder faculty members of the Department were Prof. M.N. Das, Prof. Prabhat Mukherjee, and Prof. B.C. Ray. Prof. M.N. Das became the first Head of the Department and establishment himself as a famous scholar of Modern Indian History. Prof. Ray and Prof. Mukherjee pursued Regional History, particularly, the History and culture of Odisha and published monumental works. One among the largest Departments of the University, it functions at present as an autonomous Department of Learning and Research. The output of research in the Department, both in the qualitative and quantitative sense, has also got due recognition by the community of scholars and academics all around. The PG Department of History gave way to the formation of a new Department to disseminate the ideas, research and expertise on Orissan Culture and Archaeology and formed the Department of Ancient Indian History, Culture and Archaeology in July 1996.The University hence, has accorded it the status of an autonomous Department since January 1995. The Department has successfully celebrated the Golden Jubilee Year of its foundation during the session 2009-10. The Centre for Ambedkar Studies, sponsored by the UGC under XI plan, was set up at the PG Dept. of History, UtkalUniveristy on 2nd May 2007.
Prof. M. N. Das Memorial Lecture has been set up by the PG Dept. of History, Utkal University on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee Celebration with effect from 2009.
|Sl.No.||Programmes||Number of seats|
|4||M.Phil. (Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy)|
|5||Ph.D. or D.Phil. (Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy)|
Major Instrumental facilities