A BRIEF PROFILE OF THE CENTRE:
- The Centre for Ambedkar Studies was established in the year 2007 with a support of UGC Grant. It was inaugurated by Prof.V.S. Prasad, former Director, NAAC, Bangalore in the presence of Prof.L.N.Mishra, Former Vice Chancellor, Utkal University, Prof.A.K. Patnaik, Former HOD , History and Prof. B.K. Mallik, Former Coordinator, CAS.
- The Centre for Ambedkar Studies as only Centre across the Universities in the state of Odisha started functioning in the Department of History. The Centre started debating, discussing and spreading the democratic spirit and ideas of Bharat Ratna Dr. B.R Ambedkar in the University.
- Along with organizing academic activities like Seminars, Webinars, Panel Discussion, Symposium, etc. the Centre undertook research projects and career building programs like Civil Service Coaching, Career counseling etc. Prof. Basanta Kumar Mallik was the founding member and the first Director of the Centre till 2021.
- Director (I/C), Centre for Ambedkar Studies: Dr. Rabindra Garada, Associate Professor P.G. Department of Sociology, Utkal University.
- Centre aims to foster academic activities that envisage equality, equity, social justice and excellence through engaged scholarship attuned to progressive transformation of self and society.
- To promote research on Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s ideas and writings on Indian Society.
- To cultivate a culture of non-hierarchical civil society among students, faculty and staff through social empowerment and social transformation in the University.
- The Centre is committed, through academic activity and research, to facilitate democratization of knowledge and strengthen a progressive atmosphere beyond the rigidity of caste, gender, region, religion, etc.
- To conduct research programs on contemporary issues of exclusion and inclusion and Dr. Ambedkar’s Ideology and social policy and social action.
- To encourage research scholars to do research on Ambedkar’s ideas on social transformation and social change.
- To study Dr.B.R. Ambedkar’s constitutional and legal thoughts.
- To study and understand the significance and relevance of philosophy of Ambedkar in contemporary scenario.
- The centre to develop an interdisciplinary approach to study Ambedkar’s thoughts by involving the departments of social sciences like Anthropology, History, Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Philosophy and Literature.
- To establish links between academicians, leaders, activists, government officials, constitutional experts, students, NGOs, Civil Societies and others who are getting involved in social transformation of the deprived sections of society.
Governance, Leadeship and Management
|Civil Service (OAS/IAS)Preliminary Coaching Programme||for the students of SC/ST/OBC and religious minority||Utkal University||23rd Sep 2016 to 31 stMarch 2017||under the UGC sponsered Entry in services scheme organised by centre for Ambedkar studies|
|Panel Discussion||Social Exclusion and Social Justice: Prospects and Challenges||Utkal University||26th Sep 2017||CAS, Utkal University|
|Lecture program||Inclusive Multi lingualism in India||Utkal University||4th Dec 2017||CAS, Utkal University|
|Observation of 127th Birth Anniversary of Ambedkar||Inclusive Bhahujan India , socio-cultural challenges||Utkal University||14th April 2018||CAS, Utkal University|
|150th Gandhi Jayanti Celebration||Gandhi and the Inclusive Programs in India||Utkal University||2nd October 2018||CAS, Utkal University|
|Seminar||Diversities of Social Exclusion in India: Past and Present||Utkal University||30-31 March 2019||Centre for Ambedkar Studies(CAS) in Collaboration with Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy (CSSEIP),|
|Seminar cum Celebration of Ambedkar’s 128th Birth Anniversary||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar and Democracy in India||Utkal University||14th April 2019||CAS in Collaboration with Department of History, Utkal University.|
|Seminar cum observation of Ambedkar’s Death Anniversary||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar’s ideas on religion and society in India||Utkal University||6th Dec 2019||CAS in Collaboration with Department of History, Utkal University.|
|Webinar||Education of the Margins in the present context||Utkal University||3rd September 2020||CAS in Collaboration with CSSEIP, Utkal University|
|Seminar Cum 131st Birth anniversary celebration of Ambedkar||Dr. B.R. Ambedkar: Maker of Modern India||Utkal University||14th April 2022||CAS in Collaboration with CSSEIP, Utkal University|
|National Symposium||Multilingualism and Pluralism||Utkal University||28th September 2022||Centre for Ambedkar Studies collaboration with P.G. Department of Odia|
|WB-OHEPEE sponsored Seminar cum Ambedkar’s Parinirvan Diwas||Dr.Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar and Social Change in India||Utkal Univversity||6th December 2022||CAS in Collaboration with CSSEIP, Utkal University|
Civil Service (OAS/IAS) Preliminary Coaching Programme for the students of SC/ST/OBC and Religious Minority under the UGC sponsored Entry-in-Services Scheme organized by Centre for Ambedkar Studies during the period from 23rd September 2016 to 31st March 2017.
Observation of 127th Birth Anniversary of Babasaheb Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was organized in collaboration with Centre for Ambedkar Studies, Utkal University, on 14th April, 2018.
National Seminar on “Dr. B.R. Ambedkar: Maker of Modern India” on the occasion of 131st birthday celebration of Bharat Ratna Dr. B.R. Ambedkar on 14th April, 2022 organized by the Centre for Ambedkar Studies in collaboration with the Centre for Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Utkal University
Special lecture on the Bandung Spirit: Respecting Sovereignty, Equality, Peace and Human Rights (Date- 27.04.2019) by Prof. Darwis Khudori, Indonesia
The 72nd Constitution Day of India Celebrated on 26.11.2021 ( Prof. Sabita Acharya, Vice Chancellor, Utkal University, Prof. S.N. Mishra and Prof. Basanta Kumar Mallik, Prof. Bijoy Bahidar along with our students were present.)
- WB-OHEPEE sponsored Seminar on “Dr.Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar and Social Change in India” on the occasion of Bharat Ratna Dr.Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar’s Parinirvana Diwasa on 6th December 2022
- National Symposium on Multingualism and Pluralism on 28.09.2022. Utkal University
FUTURE PLAN :
- Organize an International Conference/Workshops on Dr. Ambedkar’s thought and action.
- Introduction of ‘Certificate Course on Ambedkar Studies’
- Interdisciplinary Projects with Social Science Department
- Building the Centre for Ambedkar studies on Ambedkarology as the thrust area of and research
- Adoption of a multi caste Village for social transformation