|University of Hyderabad||July 2006- December 2010||Ph.D.
Department: Political Science
Thesis Title: Community Policing in a Democratic Society: A Study of Cyberabad Police Commissionerate in Andhra Pradesh
Areas: Human Rights, Police Studies, Political Theory and Public Policy & Governance
Advisor: Prof. Prakash Chandra Sarangi
|University of Hyderabad||June 2005 – July 2006|| M.Phil.
Department: Political Science
Thesis Title: The Role of Women in Policing: A Study of Women Protection Cell & Women Police Stations in Hyderabad”
Areas: Women Studies, Political Theory, Public Policy & Governance
Advisor: Dr. Manjari Katju
|University of Hyderabad||June 2002 – July 2004||Master of Arts|
|Department: Political Science
Papers: Indian Government & Politics, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, Public Policy and Governance, Indian Political Thought and Western Political Thought, Human RightsUGC-NET (If Qualified): YES, UGC NET and JRFSubject: Political Science
|Osmania University||June 1999 – June 2002||Bachelors of Arts|
|Utkal University||April 2016 –present||Assistant Professor|
|Fakir Mohan University||January 2014 – April 2016||Assistant Professor|
|National Law University Odisha||November 2011- June 2013||Assistant Professor|
|Ravenshaw University||November 2010 – October 2011||Lecturer|
|National Human Rights Commission, New Delhi||August 2010 – October 2010||Research Officer|
|ICFAI University, Hyderabad||June 2006- July 2007||Research Associate|
|Course Name- MA, M.Phil & Ph.D. (International Relations, India’s Foreign Policy and Indian Government & Politics)
Department and University Name: Political Science, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
Duties:Teaching and research
Book Articles (Authored/Edited)
- Prabhu, Swapna S., Community Policing in a Democratic Society: A Study of Cyberabad Police Commissionerate in Andhra Pradesh, India, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN 978-3-8454-4362-1, 2011. View
- Prabhu, Swapna S., Isolated Activism and Child Care: A Socio-cultural Perspective, Asian Press, Kolkata, ISBN: 978-93-92288-83-8, 2022.
- Prabhu, Swapna S., In Search of the Perfect Cop: The Indian Experience of Community Policing, Atlantic Publishers, Delhi (accepted for publication).
Chapters in Edited Books
- Gender Sensitization in Law Enforcement: Major Issues and Challenges, in Dr. Smita Nayak (ed.) Combating Violence against Women: A Reality in the Making, Kalpaz Publications, Delhi, 2016, pp. 87-103. ISBN: 9789351281924. View
- Liberalization and Transformation of Women’s Work in India, in Pankaj Kumar and Sadhana Gupta (eds.) Relocating Women’s Equality in Indian Society, Rawat Publications, Jaipur, 2015, pp.207-222. ISBN: 978-81-316-0742-8.
- The Crisis of Political Authority: A Look at the Criminalization and Degeneration ofPolitics in India, in Shyam Sundar Acharya and Prachi Madhumita Mohanty (eds.), Criminalization of Indian Politics : Multifarious Dimensions, Dominant Publishers and Distributors Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2015. ISBN: 978-93-84161-91-0.
- Globalization: The New Challenges to State Sovereignty, in Prof.Shyam Sundar Acharya and Prof. Geetanjali Dash (eds.), Political Economy of Development ofOdisha, F.M. University Press in collaboration with Elite Publications, Bhubaneswar, 2014.
- Water Resource Management in India: The Institutional Challenges, in R.K. Mishar and Samanta Sahu (eds.) Water Governance, Allied Publishers Ltd., New Delhi, 2012, pp.40-53. ISBN: 978-81-8424-752-7.
- Community Policing and Informal Social Control Mechanism: A Socio-theoretical Study, South Asian Journal of Socio-Political Studies, January-June 2022 (accepted for publication).
- Women, Energy and Empowerment: Reconstructing the Unconcealed Synergy, Bihar Journal of Public Administration, Indian Institute of Public Administration, January- April 2022 (in print).
- Politics of Childcare: ‘Access to childcare’ as a Public Policy in Odisha, South Asian Journal of Socio-Political Studies, Vol. XXI No. 2, January – June 2021, pp.96-102. (ISSN 0972-4613).
- Remembering Mahatma Gandhi at Utkal University, Indian Anthropologist, 50:1&2, 2020, pp-113-123. ISSN:09700927.
- Terrorism, Secularism and the Spirit of Peace: A Contemporary Gandhian Perspective, Journal of Politics & Governance, Academy of Politics and Governance, New Delhi, Vol. 8, No. 5, May 2020, pp. 37-42.ISSN: 2278-473X
- Singh, Santosh, Dr. Swapna S Prabhu, International Initiatives in Combating Terrorism and the Role of India, in Global Journal for Research Analysis, Worldwide Journals, Gujarat, Vol.8, Issue-9, September 2019, ISSN: 2277-8160, pp.3-7.
- Mishra, Pritimayee, Dr. Swapna S Prabhu, Tibet as the factor in India-China Relations, Global Journal for Research Analysis,Worldwide Journals, Gujarat, Vol.8, Issue-9, September 2019, ISSN: 2277-8160, pp.12-13. View
- Changing Political Contours in India: A Rising Convergence between Public Diplomacy and Constructivism, in Contemporary Social Sciences, Research Foundation International, New Delhi, Vol.27, No.4, October-December, 2018, ISSN 0302-9298, pp.1-12. View
- In Search of the Perfect Cop: The Philosophy behind Community Policing, in Dialogue Quarterly, Astha Bharti, Delhi, Vol. 19, No. 4, April-June 2018, ISSN 09730095 pp. 123-135. View
- Religious or Ideological Terrorism? Reconstructing the Unconcealed Synergy, in Journal of Politics and Governance, Academy of Politics and Governance, New Delhi, Vol.7, No.1, March, 2018, ISSN: 2278473X, pp. 15-23. View
- Women Police as Agents of Social Change in India: Retrospect and Prospects, in Man and Society, A Journal of North-East Studies, Indian Council of Social Science Research, North Eastern Regional Centre, Meghalaya, Vol. XIV, Summer 2017, ISSN 2229-4058, pp.159-173. View
- Shifting Global Contours: The New Challenges to State Sovereignty, in International Journal of Applied Research, AkiNik Publications, Delhi, 2017; 3(5), ISSN: 2394-7500, pp. 663-667. View
- Reconstructing India’s Identity in World Politics: An Emerging Convergence between Public Diplomacy and Constructivism, in Sociology and Anthropology, Horizon Publishers, USA,Vol.2, No-6, September 2014, ISSN-2331-6179, pp.-227-231.
- Sovereignty and Humanitarian Intervention: An Ethical Challenge, The Indian Journal of Political Science, Vol.LXXVI, No. 2, April-June,2015, ISSN- 0019-5510, pp.195-200.
- Political Re-engagement With the World : A New Sojourn with Modi, World Focus, Vol.xxxv,No-11,November 2014, ISSN – 2230-8458, pp.166 – 172.
- Public Policy Education: Global Trends in Theory and Practice, Indian Journal of Public Administration, Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), New Delhi, Vol. LVIII, No. 2, April-June, 2012,ISSN-0019-5561, pp.173-183.
- The New Private Sector in Higher Education in India, in GNLU Journal of Law, Development and Politics,Vol.3,Issue.1,March 2013,ISSN-0975-0193,pp.67-87.
- Book Review of a book titled China Now: Doing Business in the World’s Most Dynamic Market, N. Mark Lam and John L. Graham (eds.) in The ICFAI Journal of Governance &Public Policy, Vol. 3, No. 1, March 2008, ISSN 0973-3736, pp. 69-72.
- Minus Mallick
Topic of Research: Social Constructivism and Public Diplomacy: A Study of India’s
Foreign Policy since 1990s.
- Pritimayee Mishra
Topic of Research: Refugee Settlement in India: A Case Study of Odisha
- Subhashree Parida
Registration – 2016-2017.
Topic of Research: Power of Politics Vs Poltics of Power: A Study of Women Representatives in Panchayats of Nilagiri, Bhadrak District, Odisha
- Santosh Singh
Topic of Research: Diplomatic Challenges and International Relations to combat
Terrorism : A case study of India-Pakistan relations (2000-2016)
- The Politics of Child Care: A Critical Study of ‘Access to Child Care’ as a Public Policy in Odisha,sponsored by Utkal University Seed Grant Research Project (2017-2019).
- Child Care and Isolated Activism: A Socio-Legal Perspective on Women Workers in Unorganized Sectors in Odisha sponsored by UGC, Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Utkal University (January- December 2019).
- ‘Women, Energy and Empowerment: A Study of the Impact of Rural Electrification on Women’s Employment in Odisha’ sponsored by Odisha University Research and Innovation Incentivization Plan, Government of Odisha (2021-2023).
- Understanding international conflict in the third world: A conceptual analysis’ in International Conference on ‘Science, Society and Politics in South Asia’ organized by the International Office and World Bank Program, Utkal University on 3-4 March, 2020.
- ‘Isolated Activism and Childcare: An Ethical Study’ in the 45th All India Sociological Conference of the Indian Sociological Society on the theme “Environment, Culture and Development: Discourses and Intersections” at the University of Kerala, December, 2019.
- ‘Rural motherhood, ethic of care and justice: Reconstructing an unconcealed synergy’ in the three day International Conference on a theme “Interrogating the trends of rural development and social transformation in South Asia” on 2nd – 4th October, 2019 organized by Utkal University in collaboration with the Indian Sociological Society and the Indian Anthropological Association, University of Delhi.
- ‘Regional and Epistemological Understanding of Higher Education: A Case Study of Indigenous Universities of Guatemela’ in the World Bank sponsored National Seminar on Internationalization of Higher Education in India organized by the International Office, Utkal University in March, 2019.
- ‘Child Care and Isolated Activism: A Socio-Legal Perspective on Women Workers in Unorganized Sectors in India’ in the World Bank sponsored National Seminar on Inclusive Programs in India: Issues and Challenges organized by Utkal University in February, 2019.
- ‘Child Care as a subject of Public Policy in Odisha: A Study of the Impact of Rural Electrification on Child Care’ in the World Bank sponsored National Seminar on Rural Distress in India: Policy Concerns, Utkal University on 6th-7th March, 2019.
- Rapporteur for the two day symposium on Global Innovation Design organized by Utkal University in collaboration with Imperial College of London on 8th– 9th August, 2018.
- “Consumer Rights, Justice and Empowerment: A Theoretical Perspective” in the National Seminar on ‘Globalization, Market and Consumer Justice’ organized by Fakir Mohan University and Centre for Consumer Studies, IIPA, New Delhi on 17th– 18th March, 2018.
- ‘Terrorism, Religion and the Spirit of Peace: A Gandhian Perspective’ in the National Conference on “Remembering Mahatma Gandhi: Compassion and Relevance of Our Times’ organised by the Centre for Humanities and Compassion Studies at Xavier University January, 2018.
- Secured G. Rama Reddy Memorial Gold Medal in M.A. in 2004 at University of Hyderabad.
- Qualified UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) & Awarded Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) by University Grants Commission in 2008.
- Participated in the Mentoring the Mentors Programorganised by Utkal University in collaboration with iPREP TODAY Skills Foundation onMarch 2020.
- Attended the Refresher Course on Gender Studies organized by UGC, HRDC, Utkal University (22 January- 4 February, 2021)
- Attended UGC sponsored short term Faculty Development Program on ‘Disaster Management and Climate Change’ organized by the UGC HRDC Utkal University from 17-21 October, 2020.
- Participated and coordinated a Lecture program on ‘Education of the Margins in the present context’ organized by the Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Utkal University on 3rd September, 2020.
- Coordinated and organized a virtual Workshop on “Vulnerability of women during pandemic: Towards a gender sensitive public policy” organised by the Centre of Public Policy and Governance, a Centre of Excellence, under RUSA 2.0, Utkal University on 19th August, 2020.
- Participated in an International virtual Workshop on ‘Improvising strategies for social research: Methodological concerns, organized by the Indian Anthropological Association and Anthropology Without Borders, World Council of Anthropological Associations on 12-13 August, 2020.
- Participated in an National virtual Webinar on ‘Emerging Centre-State relations in India pertaining to management of Covid-19: Issues and Challenges’ organized by the Department of Political Science, Assam University, Diphu Campus on 10th August, 2020.
- Participated in a Refresher course on the subject “Understanding Tribes in the Neo-Liberal Era” organized by UGC HRD Centre, Utkal University from 3rd December to 23rd December, 2018 and obtained Grade-A.
- Participated in the UGC Sponsored Orientation Course on the theme ‘Capacity Building in Higher Education’ at the UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Utkal University from 18th August 2017 to 14th September 2017.