University Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (UDPS)
Year of Establishment: 2000
Historical Background of the Course:
Utkal University under its patronage instituted the Pharmacy course in the year 2000 with an objective to nurture and promote quality and excellence in Pharmaceutical Education & Research. Pharmacy course caters to the need for trained manpower in healthcare and allied sectors thereby serving the community and common people. Pharmacy course abridges collaboration with Basic & Allied Sciences, Medical Sciences (Allopathic, Ayurvedic, Homeopathy), Information Technology, and Bioinformatics to meet the global challenges.
The Pharmacy course imparted will be an instrument in creating and training future generation pharmacists, who would be able to contribute to the growth of Global (1000 billion USD) and Indian (25 BILLION USD) Pharmaceutical Industries according to the Department of Pharmaceuticals of the Indian Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizers.
UDPS offers a B.Pharm course with an intake capacity of 60 seats. The B.Pharm course is approved by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The admission into the B.Pharm course is made through Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE).
- Pharmacists and Pharmaceutical Scientists working within various disciplines of Pharmacy will be recognized as medical experts as well as expert in health promotion and disease prevention.
- Pharmacists will interact with other professionals and shall serve as source of information and will advise on prescribing medicine and management of disease.
- Pharmacists will develop their pharmaceutical expertise and facilities in order to deliver high –tech and individually-tailored medicines in the primary care setting.
- Pharmacists will actively involve in the national health programs like promotion of essential medicines, primary health care, HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, prohibition of tobacco use and family planning.
- Pharmacists will participate in medication management and outcome monitoring, including the ability to alter doses and change medicines with agreed therapeutic protocols.
- To optimize the health of all members of society through the promotion of safe, effective, and rational medicine use, patient counseling, and monitoring of disease and its management (through pharmaceutical care).
- To promote the highest professional and ethical standards of pharmacy, focus the image of pharmacists as competent healthcare professionals and sensitize the community on vital professional issues.
- To cater to the needs of trained manpower in pharmaceutical, healthcare, and allied sectors through pharmaceutical education and sciences.
The Pharmacy course corroborates the studies of sociological aspects of drug use, abuse, and rural healthcare by running programs in drug surveillance, community pharmacy, and pharmaceutical management. The course brings synergy among academics, R&D, Technology, and industries by collaboration between Indian institutions with industries to meet the global challenges.
Pharmacy professionals are dedicated to their profession and service as evident from ‘Pharmacist Oath’.
- I swear by the Code of Ethics of Pharmacy Council of India in relation to the community and shall act as an integral part of the health care team.
- I shall uphold the law and standards governing my profession.
- I shall strive to perfect and enlarge my knowledge to contribute to the advancement of pharmacy and public health.
- I shall follow the system, which I consider best for pharmaceutical care and counseling of patients. I shall endeavor to discover and manufacture drugs of quality to alleviate the suffering of humanity.
- I shall hold in confidence the knowledge gained about the patients in connection with professional practice and never divulge unless compelled to do so by law.
- I shall associate with organizations having their objective for the betterment of the profession of Pharmacy and make a contribution to carry out the work of those organizations.
- While I continue to keep this Oath in violation, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of pharmacy respected by all, at all times!
- Should I trespass and violate this oath, may the reverse be my lot!