Centre Co-ordinator: Professor Prabodha K Hota
Co-ordinator RUSA 2.0, HOD Commerce, Utkal University
Centre Co-cordinators: DrBijaya K Sundaray, Utkal University, DrSujeetAcharya, DDCE Utkal University
Centre PDFs : Dr Bendangienla Aier, DrNoopur
Contact details: email@example.com
“An advanced centre of research and training for improving the quality of life of unorganized workers”
- Undertake training and research concerning labour and employment
- Address the issues encountered by unorganized workers
- Dissemination of knowledge and ideas among all stakeholders for improvement of labour standard in the sector
- To conduct a base line research to develop a data base of the sector
- To act as a capability enhancement center offering training to workers engaged in unorganized sector
- To undertake research in collaboration with other agencies at regional, and national levels
- To provide support to government and other agencies in policy formulation for transformation of labour standard
- To address the issues in implementation of policies relating to unorganized labour and to suggest remedial measures
- To help in sharing of knowledge among all social partners by publication of newsletter and journal of national repute
Centre Activities for the year 2020to 2021
- Paper publication
- Proposition and Validation of Retention Model for Managers in Select Indian Private Sector Banks. NMIMS Management Review, ISSN 0971- 1023, Vol- XXIX, Issue-3, July 2021, pp- 59-95, Indexed- Web of Science, UGC, ESCI.
- Role of Perceived HRM towards Workplace Bullying and Turnover Intention: Mediating role of Resilience and Psychological Health”. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business Administration, 13(4), 433-451 (ABDC-C, Scopus, Q3)
- “Assessing Competencies and Developing Human Capital at Workplace: A Case Study”. Asian Journal of Management Cases, Sage Publication, (ABDC-C, Scopus, Q3)
- Paper presentation
- Presented research paper titled “Ethnic Minority Entrepreneurs in India: Coping amid Covid-19 pandemic” at ICESSER 1st International Congress on Empirical Social Sciences, Economy, Management and Education Researches May 29 – 30, 2021 Ankara, Turkey.
- Presented research paper in National Seminar on Unveiling the Paradigms of Indian Unorganised Sector during the COVID 19 Pandemic, Utkal University, “Socio-Economic Dynamics of Migrant Labours Due to Various State Govt Schemes: Special Emphasis on KALIA Yojna”, 30-31 October, 2021.
- Paper Presentation in International Conference on Business, IT, and Enterprise Architecture ICBIT 2021, MDI Murshidabad, “The Plight of Women Domestic Workers During The COVID-19 Pandemic: a Study in Jharkhand, 25 – 27th November, 2021.
- Presented Paper Titled ‘Thrift is the new black: Analyzing thrift business model of informal entrepreneurs’ at the 8th Pan IIM World Management Conference, IIM Kozikhode, India, 2021 from 17th Dec- 19th
- Poster presentation titled ‘The Neglected Migrant Workers during the Covid-19 Pandemic: A study in Eastern India’ in the research scholars’ conclave- 2021 on 22nd December 2021 at Utkal University.
(PDFs participating at the Research Scholars’ Conclave)
- Seminar/Courses organised
Summary of online certificate course on the ‘The New Age HR Analytics
The CoE on Unorganised Labour organised a four week short term online course titled The New Age HR Analytics for HR Professionals both from the industry as well as the academia. Since the HR Managers must align HR data and initiatives to the organization’s strategic goals. Understanding of ongoing trends and HR analytics enables HR professionals to make data-driven decisions to attract, manage, and retain employees, which improves ROI. It helps HR managers and leaders make informed decisions to create better work environment and maximize employee productivity. The present certificate course aimed at developing analytical skills which will help HR stakeholders to conduct comprehensive analysis of data to develop and streamline their HR policies and strategic decisions at their current and future workplaces. There were 64 participants from all across the country including PG/PhD/Faculty as well as Industry Professionals. The sessions were taken by Professor UshaLenka (HOD, DOMS IIT Roorkee), Dr RichaChoudhary (IIT Patna), Dr UmeshBamel (IMI New Delhi), Dr Arnav (Ramanujan College, Delhi University), Dr Clement Cabral (IIM Ranchi), Dr AnugaminiPriyaSrivastava (SIBM Pune) and Mr R. N. Mishra Sir (Tata Steel/ Visiting Faculty XIMB).
(Vice Chancellor releasing National seminar proceeding & Resource person delivering message on online mode)
(RUSA coordinator delivering message on offline mode)
Summary of National seminar on ‘Unveiling the paradigms of Indian Unorganised sector during the Covid-19 pandemic’
The National Seminar was organised by CoE on Unorganised Labour in collaboration with Department of Commerce, Utkal University, seminar flagged off by lamp lighting by Prof SabitaAcharya (Vice Chancellor, Utkal University). Introduction to all the honorary guest present in the Dias was done by Prof P.K. Hota (HoD of Commerce department and Coordinator RUSA 2.0). The seminar commenced with speech by guest of honour Dr. N. ThirumalaNaik (IAS)- Labour Commissioner, Odisha, Guest of honour Prof A. K. Dasmohapatra (Vice Chancellor, State Open University Odisha) and Prof. Sunil Kumar Gandhi (Professor, University of Kalyani West Bengal). The Plenary members were Mr DillipBishoi, Member of IC, Mr Ramakrushna Panda National Secretary AITUC, Professor RamakantAgrawal from XISS Ranchi and Professor J.K.Sharma HOD Deptt of Commerce and MS MDU Rohtak. There were 14 paper presenters in the offline mode and 3 presenters in the online mode. The presenters were M.Phil and PhD research scholars of various universities, the valedictory function was graced by Chief Guest Prof. Basant Kumar Mallik, PG Council Chairman along with Guest of Honour Mr Surendra Kumar Sahoo, COF Utkal University.
(Organizers’ and resource person & Participants with entrepreneurs)
(Participants presenting Business Model)
Summary of Value Added certification course on Entrepreneurship Ideation
The course was conducted for 43 hours which included mentoring from professionals who’s an expert in the field and project preparation. It consisted of 7 hour in-person afternoon sessions for a week and homework components. It imparted the basis- how to look at the world’s most pressing problems and turn them into opportunities, what to do when an idea grows into more than a thought, how to come up with a solid idea. The course was designed to be fun and interactive—enjoy sharpening ideas and turning ideas into reality. It was designed to learn essential business and financial skills while developing the confidence required to run a successful business. The entrepreneurship ideation course was all about understanding the fundamentals of entrepreneurship and about generating, developing, and evaluating ideas for launching viable new ventures. It focused on empowering students with design skills to address real world problems, by integrating social and humanistic inquiry into a technology and entrepreneurship based curriculum. The tools utilised were brainstorming, reverse-brainstorming, hybrid brainstorming, design thinking and co-construction and business proposal. 60 students from M.Com and MBA of Utkal university enrolled for the course and were trained by experts such as Mr. Sangram K Mohanty(Institute of Entrepreneurship Development, Govt.ofOdisha), Dr Manish Acharya, CEO at Centre for Innovation and Incubation(CII), Prof P.K.Hota (HoD P.G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University), Dr. Bendangienla Aier (PDF, RUSA 2.0), Dr. Noopur (PDF, RUSA 2.0) and entrepreneurs such as Dr. Bhawna Gupta, Director of Davik Food and Beverages Private Limited and Mr Satwik Swain, Secretary General of Odisha Assembly of Small & Medium entrepreneurs.
- Received the Best Paper Award in ICBIT 2021, MDI Murshidabad, for a research article titled “The Plight of Women Domestic Workers During The COVID-19 Pandemic: a Study in Jharkhand, 25 – 27th November, 2021.
- Academic Activities
- The Center PDFs facilitated Research Methodology classes for MPhil and PhD scholars at P.G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University.
- The Center PDFs also facilitated courses on Organisational Behaviour, Strategic Management, Small Business Management and Digital Marketing for M.Com semester 1st, 2nd, 3rd at P.G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University.
- The Center PDFs mentored PhD and Mphil scholars with respect to questionnaire development, field work and seminar paper preparations.
- The center PDFs were the examiner of the seminar research presentation for 2021 enrolled PhD scholars, P.G. Department of Commerce, Utkal University.
- Research Activities
- The PDFs conducted pilot study on unorganisedlabours in three districts of Odisha
- Database consisting of two hundred academicians/researchers/individuals working in the unorganized sector were prepared.
- An ongoing systematic literature review on unorganisedlabour is being prepared by the center PDFs.
- CoE plans for 2022Skill Development Training for Construction Workers
- Safety and Skill Development Training for Construction workers
- Field Visit and Data Collection
- Publication of an Edited Book u
- Organising International Conference
- Publication of SSCI Empirical Papers based on the Data Collected
- Organising Self-financed Short Term Courses on Skill Training
- Exploring avenues for MOU with Indian/Foreign InstitutionsW