Name: Dr. Kishor Kumar Basa
Qualification: M.A. (Delhi), Ph. D.(London),PDF (Cambridge)
Phone No.: 8895615636
E-mail ID: kishorkbasa58(at)gmail(dot)com
- Archaeological Theory and Historiography
- Prehistoric and Protohistoric Archaeology
- Archaeology of Odisha
- Museum Studies
- Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Guidance :
- MPhil Guidance:
Sl No Name of the Scholar Year of award of Degree Topic of MPhil Thesis Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)
- PhD Guidance:
Sl No Name of the Scholar Year of award of Degree Registration No Name of the Co-guide if any Fellowship received if any during research Topic of PhD Thesis Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)
- MPhil Guidance:
- Journal Publications :
- International Publications:
- National Publications:
- Review Articles(State Level Publications):
- Conference Publication(Presented/Published in proceedings):
- Presented/Published in proceedings
- K. Basa and D. Sahoo, 2015, Researches on Prehistoric Archaeology of Odisha by the Department of Anthropology: An Overview. In Souvenir of Indian Anthropology Congress 2015 (12thINCAA Congress) on “Tribal Transformations in Contemporary India: Issues and Challenges” from 22-23 February, 2015 at Bhubaneswar organized by the Department of Anthropology (Centre of Advanced Study,) Utkal University, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Research& Training Institute (SCSTRTI), Government of Odisha, Bhubaneswar and Lalit Kala Akademi (National Akademi of Arts), New Delhi.
- Presented/Published in proceedings
- Edited Books :
- Text Books :
- Book Chapters :
Archaeology and Ethnography
Archaeology of Orissa (2 Vols.). Edited by K. K. Basa & P. Mohanty, (Delhi, 2000)
- Anthropology for Archaeology. Edited by S.R. Walimbe, P.P.Joglekar and K. K. Basa, (Pune, 2007).
- Recent Research Trends in South Asian Archaeology.Edited by K. Paddayya, P.P. Joglekar, K. K. Basa & R. Sawant (Pune 2009)
- Megalithic Traditions in India (2 vols.) Edited by K. K. Basa, R. K.. Mohanty and S.B. Ota. (IGRMS, Bhopal and Aryan Books International, New Delhi: 2015)
- Understanding Heritage:Role of Museums. Edited by S. K. Ghosh Maulik & K. K. Basa (Bhubaneswar 2001).
- Museology: A Comprehensive Bibliography and Webliography. Edited by K. K. Basa, Mohd. Rehan & Ravindra Gupta (Bhopal &New Delhi, 2007).
- Multiple Heritage: Role of Specialised Museums in India. Edited by K. K. Basa (Bhopal & New Delhi, 2010).
- Tribes and Analogous Peoples in India – contemporary issues. Edited by B.F. Kulirani, K.K. MIsra and K.K. Basa (Anthropological Survey of India, 2015)
- N.Srinivas: The Man and His Work. Edited by P.K. Misra, K.K. Basa & H.K. Bhat (Jaipur, 2007).
- Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam. Edited by K. K. Basa & B. Medhi (Bhopal & Delhi, 2008)
- Plural Nature of Anthropology. Edited by A.K. danda, K.K. Basa & K.K. Misra (Kolkata, 2012).
- Anthropological Impact Assessment of Development Initiatives. Edited by A.K. Danda, K.K. Basa & K.K. Misra (INCAA, Jhargram, 2012).
- Basa, KK (2015). Mortuary practices and Megalithic traditions of the Gadabas and Paraja: an ethno-archaeological study. In: Megalithic Traditions in India (Vol.-2, pp. 751-770) Edited by K. K. Basa, R. K.. Mohanty and S.B. Ota. (IGRMS, Bhopal and Aryan Books International, New Delhi: 2015).
- Basa, KK, SB Ota and RM Nayal (2015). Museum and Megaliths – an air display in Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal. In: Megalithic Traditions in India (Vol.-2, pp. 795-801) Edited by K. K. Basa, R. K.. Mohanty and S.B. Ota. (IGRMS, Bhopal and Aryan Books International, New Delhi: 2015).
- Sahoo, D. and K. K. Basa, 2013, Neolithic- Chalcolithic Cultures of Odisha: An Overview. In Book “Neolithic- Chalcolithic Cultures of Eastern India”. (ISBN: 978-81-910635-1-6) pp.173-200 (Chapter-9) (Edited by Dr. K.N. Dikshit, Indian Archaeological Society), New Delhi. 2013
- Traditional Salt Making among the Meiteis of Manipur: A study on Intangible Cultural Heritage. In: Traditional Knowledge System and Technology in India (edited by B.K. Mohanta & V.K. Singh) 91-109
- Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya (National Museum of mankind): A Museum with a difference.(jointly with G.Jayaprakashan). In Multiple Heritage: Role of Specialized Museums in India Edited by K.K.Basa, IGRMS, Bhopal & Serials Publications, New Delhi,2010, (pp.277-98).
- Archaeology and Beyond: A perspective on Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya , Bhopal. In Recent Research Trends in South Asian Archaeology, edited by K. Paddayya, P.P. Joglekar, K.K. Basa and R. Sawant, Deccan College, Pune, (pp.419-32) (2009).
- Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam: An Introduction. In Intangible Cultural Heritage of Assam, Edited by K.K.Basa and Birinchi Medhi, Prativa Prakashan, Delhi (2008).
- Anthropological Perspectives in Archaeology: Some Examples from India, In Anthropology for Archaeology, Proceedings of the Professor Irawati Karve Birth Centenary Seminar, edited by S.R. Walimbe, P.P. Jogalekar and K.K. Basa, Deccan College, Pune (pp.113-138) (2007).
- Srinivas and National Museum of Mankind, In M.N. Srinivas- The Man and His Work edited by P.K. Misra, K.K. Basa and H.K. Bhat, IGRMS, Bhopal and Rawat Publications, Jaipur, (pp.63-76) (2007).
- Odisaro Pratanatta: Eko Itihastattiko Vishleshana (in Oriya) In Parmananda Parikrama (A collection of Parmananda Memorial Letures), edited by Birendra Nayak, The Freelancers, Bhubaneswar (pp. 85-116) (2006).
- Neolithic and Post-neolithic cultures of Orissa: an overview. In (pp. 9-31) S Pradhan (ed.) Orissa: History, Culture and Archaeology. New Delhi: D.K. Printworld (1999).
- Archaeological Investigations on the Coast of Chilika Lake. In (pp. 75-82) S. Pradhan (ed.) Orissa: History, Culture and Archaeology. (Jointly with P. Mohanty and J. Mishra) (1999).
- Indo-Roman Trade. In (pp. 15-26) K.S. .Behera (ed.) Maritime Heritage of India. New Delhi: Aryan Books (1999).
- Early Trade in the Indian Ocean: Perspectives on Indo-Southeast Asian Maritime Contacts (c. 400 BC – AD 500). In (pp. 29-71) K.S. Behera (ed.) Maritime Heritage of India (1999).
- Tribal cultures of Orissa and their implications for archaeology. In (pp.27-55) S.K. Sethi and S. Pani (ed.) Tribal Culture of Orissa. Bhubaneswar (1998).
- Cultural Relations Between Orissa and Southeast Asia: an archaeological perspective. In (pp. 730-41) P.K. Mishra (ed.) Comprehensive History and Culture of Orissa (1997).
- Archaeological Approaches and Ethnographic Models for Trade and Exchange: A Critical Study. Eastern Anthropologist 49(2): 109-38 (1996).
- Archaeological heritage. In (pp. 18-45) P.K. Mishra (ed.) Comprehensive History and Culture of Orissa. New Delhi: Kaveri Books (1995).
- Problems and Perspectives in Orissan Prehistoric Archaeology. In (pp. 229-40) A. Datta, A.K. Ghosh and C. Margabandhu (eds.) India at the Dawn of History. Delhi: Agam Kala Prakashan (1995).
- Early Historic Glass Beads in Thailand and Peninsular Malaysia. In (pp. 85-102) I.C. Glover (ed.) Southeast Asian Archaeology 1990. Hull: University of Hull (1992).
- Anthropological Perspectives in Archaeology. In Plural Nature of Anthropology, Edited by A.K.Danda, K.K.Basa and K.K. MIshra, Indian Anthropological Society, Kolkata, (pp.305-50)
- Prehistory of Orissa. In Imaging Orissa, edited by Hermann Kulke, Nibedita Mohanty, Gaganendra Nath Dash & Dinanath Pathy (2013).
- Neolithic and Chalcolithic Culture of Odisha: An Overview. In Neolithic Cultures of India, edited by K.N.Dixit (jointly with D.Sahoo), Indian Archaeological society, New Delhi (pp-173-183) (2013).
- Comment on the paperAn Enogma called Kumar Suresh Singh, by P. K. Misra. The Indian Journal of Anthropology 1(1): 97-99 (2013).
- Museum as a Facilitator of Education. In Museum Education edited by Manvi Seth and Carol Reed (no date, in press)).
- K. K. Basa and D. Sahoo, (nd.), Neolithic Cultures of Odisha: Issues, Problems and Prospects. Sent in Sept.2014 for publication in the Forthcoming Volume (Edited by Department of Anthropology, Calcutta University), Calcutta.
- Presented a paper on Situating Odisha’s Cultural Interactions with Greece and China in the International Seminar on Cross Civilisational Interactions in Antiquity: India, Iran, Greece, and China during 7-9th January, 2015 held in Delhi
- Research Books :
- Resource person in the International Workshop on Museum Studies held at Jaipur during February 2015
- Resource Person in the Workshop on Bead Studies held at IIT Gandhinagar during August 2015
- (a) Played a key role in Organizing Mayur-1998, a workshop cum exhibition on ‘Indigenous Cultures of Orissa’ at Baripada (the headquarter of the tribal dominated district of Mayurbhanj) in collabor~tion with Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal.
- (b) Helped in the organizing of a Demonstration-cum-workshop 00 Dance traditions of Orissa at SCS College, Puri and a Workshop on Linguistic variations in Orissa at Banki College, Banki (Orissa) during 2000-2001 as part of the Campus Diversity Initiative Project of the Ford Foundation.
- (c) Acted as a liaison person and organizer from the Utkal University side to organise an Inter State Exhibition on ‘Krishna: The God of the People’ by the Indian Museum, Kolkata in Sept., 2001.
- (d) During my Headship in the Department of Anthropology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar (2001-2003), two conferences were organized by the Department (i) The first was an International Conference on Mahima Dharma held in February, 2002 and the Second was on Tribal Health and Nutrition held in March, 2003.
- (e) Three National seminars were organized at Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalaya, Bhopal during 2004-05, titled ‘Indian Diaspora and Museum’, ‘Multiple Heritage: Role of Specialised Museums in India’ and ‘Megalithic Traditions in Ethnography and Archaeology in India’.
- (f) Secretary, Local reception Committee, for the International Conference on India and the Indian Ocean – Renewing the Maritime Trade & Civilizational Linkage during March 2015
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellowship at University of Cambridge (1999-2000) for a year
- Awarded the Govt of India Scholarship for Study Abroad to undertake Ph. D. at University of London (1986-1990)
- Nominationed by the UGC for the Indo-French Cultural Exchange Programme, 1997 at Paris.
- Awarded the Prof. Ghansyam Das memorial Gold Medal for securing the First Position in Odisha in the H.S.C Exam 1973
- Awarded the Prof. Ghansyam Das Memorial Gold Medal for securing First Class First position in B.A. History (Hons.) Exam 1977 in Utkal University
- Awrded the National Scholarship from I.A. to M.A.
- Won the Swan Hellenic Grant for visiting archaeological sites in the Mediterranean.
- Important Activities:
- Research Projects Undertaken:
- Invited Lectures:
- Administrative/Executive experience:
- Conference organized as Organizing Secretary: