The Department of Computer Science was established in Utkal University, Bhubaneswar in the year 1990, with the objective of imparting quality education in the field of Computer Science. With rapidly evolving technology and the continuous need for innovation the department has always produced quality professionals, holding important positions in Information Technology industry in India and abroad. The Department started the three year Master of Computer Applications (MCA) programme in the year 1990. The 5 years Integrated MCA (IMCA) and two year M. Sc. (Computer Science) was introduced as self finance mode in the year 1999, and 2001 respectively. The Master in Computer Engineering course was introduced in the year 2005 with full assistance from Minstry of IT (MIT), Government of India.Besides these the Department has strong research interests in diverse branches of Computer Science and offers a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programme aimed at producing quality researchers.
To be a dedicated centre of learning and research in computer science and be premier in producing excellent computer professional through comprehensive educational program which creates leaders for the industry, academia, entrepreneurship and application.
- To create a lively environment for the students and faculty for personal and professional growth with high ethical standards.
- To continuously upgrade the curriculum and laboratory facilities to train the students in latest technology for better employability.
- To involve the students in individual as well as team projects for solving challenging problems in computer engineering and applications.
- To create a centre of excellence on frontier areas of research.
- To facilitate consultancy work by the faculty for industry and the public sectors.
Program Educational Objectives
- To produce proficient and competent Computer Science graduates with a solid foundation in Computer Science , Basic Sciences and Mathematics for successful professional careers in industry, academia, and public service.
- To prepare graduates to become effective technical communicators/collaborators in multidisciplinary teams providing technical leadership to create innovative computing solutions for challenging real life problems.
- The graduates of the programme will contribute to society in a professional, responsible and ethical manner.
- Our graduates will pursue lifelong learning through such activities as higher studies, research and development,distance education, professional training and membership in professional societies to be able to adapt to challenges of changing environment.
Program OutcomesThe Master of Computer Applications (MCA), M. Tech. (Computer Sc. & Engineering) programs aim to produce scholar that after the graduation, they will be able to :
- Apply the basic mathematical, scientific and engineering concepts appropriate to the discipline of Computer Science and Engineering.
- Analyze a problem, identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- Use state-of-the-art techniques, tools and skills necessary for computing practice.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of sustainable development considering the impact of computing solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the Computer Science and Engineering practice.
- Function effectively on multi-disciplinary teams to accomplish a common goal.
- Communicate effectively, both written and oral, with a range of audiences.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to his own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in life-long learning and continuing professional development