To emerge as a leading global centre of research in theoretical and applied Physics
- To make high quality Physics education accessible to talented students
- To maintain high academic standard in research areas of theoretical and applied Physics
- To reach out to the peripheral sectors and public at large in spreading the culture of scientific education and research
- Study of CP violation in B-meson system and Leptonic sector
- Study of the properties and interactions of neutrinos and study of the events in cosmic rays with air shower detectors and a large area muon detector (collaboration with GRAPES-3 experiment at CRL, Ooty, TIFR)
- Study of the properties of compact star
- Study of Gauge-gravity duality, Quark-gluon-plasma
- Study of nano-scale material characterization, spintronics based oxide materials
- Establishing a low energy, high current Ion beam facility
- Establishing a centre for high performance computing (HPC) facilities for providing super computing, networking for research and educational resources to the diverse academic community , research and technology dependent industries of Odisha
- High Energy Physics
- Astro particle physics, Gravitation and Cosmology
- Complex Systems in Physics
- High Performance Computing
- Condensed Matter Physics, Magnetism and Spintronics, Nanoscience and Nanomaterials
Tentative activities performed and planned
- Aninternational seminar:We have organizeda two days international seminar on “ Recent Advances in High Energy and Condensed Matter Physics 2021” on 20-21 December, 2021.
- We have organized an interaction session with Dr Ajit Kumar Mohanty, Director Bhaba Atomic Research Center, Mumbai on 12th November 2021.
- Planning to organize invited lectures by eminent guest Professors:The lecturers will be organized in January-March 2022 in the department to deliver lecturers on recent advances in physics.
- To augment the library with books on advanced research areas.
- To upgrade the teaching and research laboratories:
- We have installed the Micro-Raman Laboratory for the research on materials characterization. The other equipment for the teaching and the research laboratory is in the process of procurement. We are planing for the renovation class rooms, laboratories and library.
- To publish the research findings in the areas of High energy and Condensed matter physics in reputed international journals
Details of Coordinator and other staff involved
- Prafulla Kumar Panda (Head, Physics) (Coordinator)
- Bijaya Laxmi Jena (Chemistry) (Deputy Coordinator)
- Shesansu Sekhar Pal (Physics)
- Jagadish Kumar (Physics)
- Bhagaban Kisan (Physics)
- Bedangadas Mohanty (NISER, Bhubaneswar)
- Basanta K Nandi (IIT, Bombay)