Name: Dr. Saroj Kumar Sahu
Designation: Assistant Professor
Qualification: Ph.D. (Atmospheric & Space Science), M.Phil. (Oceanography)
Phone No.: +91-94-39919236
E-mail ID: saroj(dot)utkaluni(at)gmail(dot)com saroj(dot)bot(at)utkaluniversity(dot)ac(dot)in
- Air Pollution, Anthropogenenic/Natural Emission etc
- Development of National/Regional scale emission inventories of atmospheric pollutants/GHGs.
- Air Quality and its modeling towards policy assessmentand mitigation strategy etc.
- GHGs Emission
- Urban Air Quality& Health
- Climate Change & Modelling
- Ambient Air Quality Monitoring
- Air Pollution
- Climate Change
- Atmosphere Sciences
- Remote Sensing
- MPhil Guidance:
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Topic of MPhil Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)|
|1||Subhashree Behera||2019||Development of seasonal emission inventory of crop residue burning in India|
|2||Jyoti Ranjan Rath||2018||Emerging biomass emission in India and its energy Potential|
- PhD Guidance:
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Registration No||Name of the Co-guide if any||Fellowship received if any during research||Topic of PhD Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)|
- Journal Publications :
1 S. K Sahu, B Tyagi, C Pradhan, G Beig, Evaluating the variability, transport and periodicity of particulate matter over smart city Bhubaneswar, a tropical coastal station of eastern India, SN Applied Sciences,1-383, 2019. 2019-20
2 V. Singh, S. K. Sahu, A. Kesarkar, A. Biswal,Estimation of high resolution emissions from road transport in a megacity Delhi, Urban Climate,2019. 2019-20
3 Ying Chen, Oliver Wild, Edmund Ryan, Saroj Kumar Sahu, Douglas Lowe, Scott Archer-Nicholls, Yu Wang, Gordon McFiggans, Tabish Ansari1, Vikas Singh, Ranjeet S. Sokhi, Alex Archibald, GufranBeig,Mitigation of PM2.5 and Ozone Pollution in Delhi: A Sensitivity Study during the Pre-monsoon period, Atmos. Chem. Phy. Discussion (ACPD),https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-2019-618, 2019 2019-20
4 G. Beig, S. Reka, N Parkhi,G. R. Carmichael,S. Singh, S. K. Sahu, S Maji, A Radhod, Anatomy of the Winter 2017 Air Quality Emergency in Delhi, 681, 305-311, Science of the Total Environment,2019. 2019-20
5 V Kumar, S Jana, A Bhardwaj, R. Deepa, S. K.Sahu, P. K. Pradhan, Sevinc A. Sirdas, Greenhouse Gas Emission, Rainfall and Crop Production Over North-Western India, The Open Ecology Journal, 11: 47-61, 2018. 2018-19
6 S. K. Sahu, T. Ohara, G Beig,The role of coal technology in defining India’s climate change agents and other pollutants,Environmental Research Letters (ERL), 12, DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/aa814a, 2017. 2017-18
7 A. Kaushar, D. Trivedi, S. K. Sahu, Surface ozone characterization at Larsemann Hills and Maitri, Antarctica, Science of the Total Environment, 0048-9697, 2017. 2017-18.
- National Publications:
1. S. K. Sahu, T. Ohara, G. Beig, J. Kurokawa, T. Nagashima, “ Rising critical emission of air pollutants from renewable biomass based cogeneration from the sugar industry in India”, Environmental Research Letters (ERL), 10, DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/10/9/095002, 2015.
2. S. K. Sahu, G. Beig, N. Parkhi, “High Resolution emission inventory of NOx and CO for Mega City Delhi, India” Aerosol and Air Quality Research (AAQR), 15, 1137-1144, DOI: 10.4209/aaqr.2014.07.0132, 2015 .
3. S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz, G. Beig, “Critical pollutant emissions from Indian telecom network”, Atmospheric Environment, 103, 34-42, 2014.
4. K Ali, D. K. Trivedi, S. K. Sahu, Physico-chemical characterization of total suspended particle matter over two coastal stations of Antarctica and adjoining ocean, Atmospheric Environment 122, 531-540, 2015.
5. Marrapu, P., Cheng, Y., Beig, G., S. K. Sahu, Srinivas, R., and Carmichael, G. R.: Air quality in Delhi during the Commonwealth Games, Atmos. Chem. Phys. (ACP) 14, 2014.
6. S. K. Sahu, G. Beig, G., N. Parkhi, “Critical emissions from the largest on-road transport network in South Asia”, Aerosol and Air Quality Research (AAQR), 14, 135-144, DOI:10.42209/aaqr.2013.04.0137, 2013.
7. D. Chate, G. Beig, T. Satpute, S. K. Sahu, S. D. Ghude, K. Ali, N. Parkhi, H. K. Trimbake.,“Assessments of population exposure to environmental pollutants using Air Quality Measurements during Commonwealth Games–2010”, Inhalation Toxicology,25(6):333-340,DOI:10.3109/08958378.2013.788103, 2013.
8. G. Beig, D. Chate, S. Ghude, K. Ali, T. Satpute, S. K. Sahu and N. Parkhi,“Evaluating population exposure to environmental pollutants during Deepavali fireworks displays using Air Quality Measurements of the SAFAR network”, Chemospere, 92, 116-124, DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.02.043, 2013.
9. G. Beig, D. Chate, S. Ghude, A. Mahajan, R Srinivas, K. Ali, S. K. Sahu, N. Parkhi, D. Surendran and H Trimbake, “Quantifying the effect of air quality control measures during the 2010 Commonwealth Games at Delhi, India”, Atmospheric Environment,80, 455-463, 2013.
11. K. Ali, D. Chate, G. Beig, R. Srinivas, N. Parkhi, T. Satpute,S. K. Sahu, S Ghude, S Kulkarni, DSurendran,T Hanumant, “Spatio-temporal Variation and Deposition of Fine and Coarse Particles during Commonwealth Games in Delhi”,Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 13: 748–755, 2013.
12. S. K. Sahu, G. Beig, N. Parkhi, “Emerging pattern of Anthropogenic NOx emission over Indian subcontinent during 1990s and 2000s”Atmospheric Pollution Research, doi:10.5094/APR.2012.021,2012.
13. S.K.Sahu, G. Beig, N. Parkhi, “Emissions Inventory of Anthropogenic PM2.5 and PM10 in Delhi during Commonwealth Games 2010”, Atmospheric Environment,45, 6180-6190, 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.08.014,2011.
14. V.Pawer, D. Pawer, G. Beig, S. K. Sahu , “Effect of lightning activity on surface NOx and O3 over a tropical station during pre-monsoon and monsoon seasons, Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR), 211JD016930RRR,2011.
15. S.Menon, D. Koch, G. Beig, S. K. Sahu, J. Fassullo and D. Orlikowski, “Black Carbon Aerosols and the third polar ice cap”, Atmos. Chem. Phys.(ACP), 10, 4559-4571, 2010.
16. K.Ali, G. Beig, D. Chate, S. K. Sahu, P. D. Safai “Sink mechanism for significantly low level of ozone over the Arabian Sea during monsoon” Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR),Vol 114, D17306, doi: 10.1029 /2008JD011256, 2009.
17. S.K. Sahu, G. Beig, C. Sharma, “Decadal Growth of Black Carbon emissions in India”, Geophys. Res. Lett. (GRL), Vol-35, L02807, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL032333, 2008.
- Review Articles(State Level Publications):
Conference Publication(Presented/Published in proceedings):
- Presented/Published in proceedings
1 S Khuntia&S K Sahu,Emerging Emission Trend for Aviation sector in Megacity, National Conference on “Plants for Sustainable Development and Clean Environment”,Centurion University, India, 2018.
2 A Samal&S K Sahu,Development of Methane Inventory for Paddy and Livestock in India”National Conference BIEMPM, Bhubaneswar, India, 2018.
3 S. K. Sahu, A. Samal, P. Mangaraj, A. Biswal, T. Ohara,Methane emission inventories for two emerging sectors in India,workshop & Science-Policy Dialogue Air pollution, Climate and Health in Southern Asia and the Hindu Kush Himalaya, 27-30 Nov. 2017, Kathmandu, Nepal.
4 S. K. Sahu, P. Mangaraj, S. Khuntia,Emission Inventory of critical pollutants for Mega City Mumbai, India (2015),workshop & Science-Policy Dialogue Air pollution, Climate and Health in Southern Asia and the Hindu Kush Himalaya, 27-30 Nov. 2017, Kathmandu, Nepal.
5 S. K. Sahu,T.Ohara, J. Kurokawa T. Nagashima,Rising critical emission from emerging sectors in India, 17th GEIA Conference Program, 18-20 Nov. 2015, Beijing, China.
6 S. K. Sahu, T. Ohara, T. Nagashima, J. Kurokawa, Development of high resolution emission inventories for emerging sectors in India,The 13th international conference on the Atmospheric Sciences and Application to Air Quality (ASAAQ),11-13 Nov. 2015, Kobe, Japan.
7 S. K. Sahu&T. Ohara, emission inventory over India with special focus on few emerging sector, International Workshop on Land Use/Cover Changes and Air Pollution in Asia, August 4 -7th, 2015, Bogor, Indonesia.
8 S. K. Sahu, T. Ohara, J. Kurokawa and T. Nagashima, Recent and future emission scenarios for emerging renewable biomass and conventional fossil fuel based energy in India, 2nd Atmospheric Composition and the Asian Summer monsoon (ACAM) workshop 8-10 June 2015, Bangkok, Thailand.
9 S. K. Sahu, Recent emission scenarios over India sub-continent with special focus on new emerging sector and transport,International Workshop on Air Quality in Asia:Inventory, Modeling and Climate Impacts of Greenhouse Gas emissions (GHG’s) and Aerosols, 24-26 June, 2014, Hanoi, Vietnam.
10 S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz, G. Beig, Critical pollution emission from Indian Telecom network, GEIA Conference 10-11 June 2014, NCAR, Boulder, USA.
11 S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz, O. Stein, G. Beig, Comparison and validation of global and regional emission inventories over India using MOZART CTM and measurement data, MACC-II-Open Science Conference, 27-30 Jan. 2014, Brussels, Belgium.
12 S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz, T. von Carmann& O. Stein, Comparison of Space borne and model derived NOy profiles in the upper Troposphere, REKLIM, 16-18 Apr. 2013, Bad Honnef, Germany.
13 S. K .Sahu, M. Schultz & T. von Carmann Analysis of MIPAS NOy Satellite Retrieval in the Upper Troposphere, EGU, 7-12 Apr. 2013, Vienna, Austria.
14 S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz & T. von Carmann, The 8th MIPAS-IMK/IAA data user Workshop, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, 25-26th Oct. 2012, Karlsruhe , Germany.
15 S. K. Sahu, G. Beige, N. Parikh, M. Schultz & O. Stein, Emission Inventory of Anthropogenic PM2.5 and PM10 in Mega city, Delhi, India for Air Quality Forecasting during CWG- 2010, 22-27 Apr.EGU, 2012, Vienna, Austria.
16 S. K. Sahu, M. Schultz & T. von Carmann, Inter-Comparison of MIPAS derived HNO3 and PAN with TFHTAP model simulated concentrations in the UTLS, 2nd REKLIM Workshop, 19.-21. Mar. 2012, Lüneburg, Germany.
17 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “An integrated (WRF-CMAQ) modeling approach to find the actual source of PM10 emission during Commonwealth Game-2010 in mega city Delhi” in 3rdUrbino Symposium, 13-16 Sept. 2011, at Urbino, Italy.
18 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “Development of High Resolution Emission Inventory of PM2.5 and PM10 for Mega city Delhi and NCR” in the International workshop on “Air Quality Forecasting and Research” (IWAQFR, GURME SAG Meeting) from 16-18th Nov.2010, at Quebec City, Canada.
19 G. Beig, S. K. Sahu, G. Carmichael, S. N. Spark, S. Reka S. Kulkarni, S. D. Ghude, K. Ali and LiisaJalkanen, An integrated modeling and monitoring approach to forecast the air quality for mega city in Asia for Commonwealth Games-2010”, in WCRP OSC, Climate Research in Service to Society, 24-28 Oct. 2010, at Colorado, USA.
20 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “Emission inventory of Ozone Precursors (NOx and CO) for air quality forecasting during Commonwealth Games 2010 in mega city Delhi”, in WCRP OSC, Climate Research in Service to Society, 24-28 Oct. 2010, at Colorado, USA.
21 Attended the International Workshop on “2nd HTAP 2010 Report Content Workshop, organized by the Task Force on Hemispheric Transport of Air Pollutants (TF HTAP) under the Convention on Long-range Trans boundary Air Pollution on 1-2 March 2010, and the Workshop on addressing ozone and black carbon as Short-Lived Climate Forcers (SLCF)” on 3-4Th Mar.2010, North Carolina, USA.
22 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “Impact of NOx emissions uncertainty on the distribution of Tropospheric ozone”, Proceedings of International Workshop on “Linkages between Regional and Global Modeling and Air Quality and Climate Change issues”, 17-20th Jun. 2009, organized by TF HTAP, Paris, France,
23 WMO GURMETraining Course on “Air Quality Forecasting for India and South Asia”,8 -12th Dec. 2008,Pune, India.
24 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “Emerging pattern of NOx emission and its growth over Indian geographical region during 1990s and 2000s, Proceedings of “International Workshop on Regional and Intercontinental Transport of Air Pollution” 13-14th Oct. 2008, organized by TFHTAP and EANET. Hanoi, Vietnam.
25 G. Beig, S.Ghude and S. K. Sahu, Anthropogenic emissions of air pollutants and associated climatic changes over the Asian region 4th IGBP-Congress held at during 5-9thMay, 2008, Cape Town, South Africa.
26 S. K. Sahu& G. Beig, “Black Carbon Emission Scenarios over the Indian Region”, Proceedings of International Symposium on Aerosol-Chemistry-Climate interaction, 118, 20-22 Nov. 2007, PRL, Ahmedabad, India.
27 G. Beig, S. D. Ghude, S. Polade, S. K. Sahu, “Measurement of SPM and SO2 at Sugar Factory, Rural Background Site and Semi-urban Site” IASTA Bulletin, 18 (1 & 2), 136 – 139, 2007.
28 Beig, G., S D Ghude, S. Polade, S. K. Sahu, “Measurement of SPM and SO2 at Sugar Factory, Rural Background Site and Semi- urban Site” IASTA Bulletin, 18 (1&2), 136-139, 2007.
29 D. P. Prajapapati, S. S. Nandargi, S. K. Sahu, Heavy rainfall and floods over the Gujarat region during Monsoon 2006 -a pilot study” National Symposium “Proceedings of GOLDEN JUBILEE”, Pune, India.
- Edited Books :
- Text Books :
- Book Chapters :
1. G.Beig, Co-author(S K Sahu),System of Air Quality Forecasting and Research (SAFAR-India), World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Global Atmosphere Watch (GAW) Report No. 217, 2015.
2. S.K. Sahu& G. Beig, Book chapter entitle “Emission inventory for SAFAR: The national project for air quality study over Indian cities”,Air Pollution: Monitoring, Impacts and Mitigation Strategies, 2012:00-00 ISBN: 978-81-308-0488-0, 2013.
3. S.K. Sahu, Book entitle “Anthropogenic Black carbon and Ozone Precursors Emission over India”, ISBN: 978-3-8484-4679-7, 2012.
4. G.Beig &Lead Author:S. K. Sahu, “Development of high resolution emission inventory for National Capital Region Delhi”, Special Scientific Report, Ministry of EarthSciences (MoES), SAFAR-2010-A, 2010.
5. G.Beig, S.D. Ghude & contributing Author: S. K. Sahu, “Scientific Evaluation of Air Quality Standards and Defining Air Quality Index for India”, Special Scientific Report, Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), SAFAR-2010-B, 2010.
2 G.Beig, Lead Author:S. K. Sahu, “SAFAR-High Resolution Emission Inventory of Mega City Delhi-2018”, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India, Special Scientific Report, SAFAR-Delhi-2018-A, ISSN:0252-1075, 2018
3 G. Beig, Co-author (S. K. Sahu), Chapter-26: The Indian Nitrogen Assessment: Sources of Reactive Nitrogen, Environmental and Climate Effects, and Management Options and Policies, 2016.
- Research Books :
- Participation in the 28th Indian Expedition to Antarctica during 2008-09 to understand “Behaviors of ozone and its precursors in Marine and polar Boundary layer”. (Ministry of Earth Sciences)
1 Advance training on ArcGIS Spatial/Network Analyst, (ESRI) at National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Tsukuba, Japan from 26-27 Feb. 2015.
2 Deputed to Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research (CGRER) at University of Iowa in Iowa City, USA towards the “Advance training on interactive mechanism in high resolution air quality forecasting model CMAQ” from 19th Nov. – 19th Dec. 2010.
3 Certificate Course in Geographical Information System (GIS) from MITCON, PUNE
4 Certificate program in Disaster management, IGNOU. Delhi.
- Important Activities:
- Research Projects Undertaken:
1 Operational, analysis & maintenance of MAPAN-AQMS station at Utkal University, (Role: PI, Funding Agency: Ministry of Earth Sciences).
2 Quantifying Impacts of South Asian Aerosols on Regional and Arctic Climate (QUISARC), Indo-Norwegian project, (Role: Co-PI, Funding Agency: Ministry of Earth Sciences, 2017-2021).
3 Startup-Grant for UGC-Faculty Recharge Programme (Role:PI, Funding Agency: UGC, 2017-19).
4 System of Air Quality Forecasting and Research (SAFAR)-Delhi for commonwealth game 2010, (Role: Co-PI, Funding Agency: Ministry of Earth Sciences, 2010-2011).
- Invited Lectures:
- Administrative/Executive experience:
1 Admission/Examination in-Charge of Environmental Science, Organizing of department seminar/conferences etc.
Conference organized as Organizing Secretary: