Name: Dr. Sanjay Acharya
Designation: Professor & Head
Qualification: M.A. (History), M.Phil., Ph.D.
Phone No.: +91-9437051511
E-mail ID: drsanjayacharya(at)gmail(dot)com
- Ancient Indian History, Culture.
- Regional History (Art and Architecture of Odisha)
- M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D. Course Work
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Topic of MPhil Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)|
|1||Nirupama Dalai||2019||Contribution of Padmashree Paramananda Acharya to Odisha history, culture & archaeology.|
|2||Santosh Kumar Karjee||2019||Ethno-Archaeology of Saura Tribes in Odisha: A Case Study of Gajapati district.|
|3||Sweta Barik||2019||Animal representation in the Temple Art of Odisha: A Case Study of the Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|4||Rashmirekha Bari||2019||Ethno-Archaeology of Ho Tribes in Odisha: A Case Study on Mayurbhanj District.|
|5||Chittaranjan Mohapatra||2018||Documentation of Puri Kushana Coins as preserved in Odisha State Museum.|
|6||Prasanta Kumar Swain||2018||Dikapalas in Odishan Temples : A case study of the Temples of Bhubaneswar|
|7||Krishna Mohanty||2018||A Study of Hair Style, Ornaments and Costumes as depicted in the Chausathi Yogini Temple, Hirapur.|
|8||Durga Charan Mangual||2018||Archaeological Remains of Banki Sub Division, Cuttack|
|9||Prabodha Mohapatra||2017||Making Process of Patta Painting : A Case Study on Raghurajpur.|
|10||Sandhyarani Dalei||2017||Survey of Archaeological Antiquities in Nayagarh District.|
|11||Shradhanjali Panda||2017||Gods and Goddesses as Depicted in the Brahmesvara Temple.|
|12||Laxmipriya Behera||2016||A Study on Animal Figures in the Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|13||Neha Sharma||2016||Signs and Symbols in Rock Shelters of Odisha: A Study on its Design, Type and Interpretations.|
|14||Pradeepta Patel||2016||Archaeological Remains at Prachi valley.|
|15||Maitreyee Mishra||2014||Archaeological remains in Dhenkanal District upto 19th Century A.D.|
|16||Kaibalya Charan Pati||2014||A Study on the Socio-Economic life under the Imperial Gangas of Kalinga: As depicted in Inscriptions, Coins and art pieces of Kalinga.|
|17||Sarita Nayak||2013||Historiography of Hindu Temples Architecture in Odisha.|
|18||Manas Kumar Rout||2013||A Study on Architectural Vestiges of Dharpan Khas area in Jajpur.|
|19||Ujwala Mohanandia||2012||Socio-religious Belief and Practice: An ethno-archaeological Study of the Bonda tribe of Odisha.|
|20||Manaswini Rout||2012||Votives Stupas at Ratnagiri: A Study.|
|21||Swapnananda Das||2012||Economic Condition of Odisha as depicted on the walls of the Sun Temple at Konark.|
|22||Diptimanjari Sahu||2012||Study on Terracotta Remains of Ratnagiri.|
|23||Umakanta Moharana||2011||Excavation at Narisho 2012 : A Study on Red Ware.|
|24||Sukanta Badu||2011||Archaeological Excavation at Narisho 2011-12 – A Study of Site and Environment.|
|25||Sarbeswar Sethi||2010||Monuments of Bhubaneswar and their Conservation.|
|26||Rajesh Kumar Sahu||2010||A Study of Yogini worship in Orissa: With special reference to Chausathi Yogini temple at Ranipur Jharial.|
|27||Sunil Kumar Sethi||2009||Chausathi Yogini Temple at Hirapur – A Study of Art, Architecture and Iconography.|
|28||Ellora Jasmine Garnayak||2009||Dance and Music images in the Temples of Bhubaneswar and its importance.|
|29||Arabinda Bose||2009||Archaeological Remains at Haripurgarh and its adjoining area.|
|30||Ksharabdi T Sahoo||2008||A Study of Vyala figures in the temples of Bhubaneswar|
|31||Ipsita Rout||2008||Pidha Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|32||Sasmita Mishra||2008||Bramheswara Temple : A Case Study.|
|33||Kabita Tripathy||2007||A Study of Simhanath Temple at Baramba|
|34||Himanshu Sekhar Pradhan||2007||A Study of Decorative Motifs on Early Temples at Bhubaneswar.|
|35||Tulika Mishra||2006||Archaeological remains in and around Boudh District.|
|36||Manaswini Mishra||2006||Manifestation of Siva in the temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|37||Anandita Samal||2006||Brahmanical Monuments of Jajpur.|
|38||Managobinda Nayak||2006||Dress and Ornaments in the temples of Orissa - A Case Study of Bhubaneswar.|
|39||Anumapa Behera||2005||Nataraj Images of Orissa with special reference to the temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|40||Laxmi Priya Nayak||2005||Chamunda Images of Orissa.|
|41||Manorama Ojha||2004||Archaeological Remains of Keonjhar District.|
|42||Lopamudra Bal||2004||A Study of Animal Figures in the temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|43||Smaranika Das||2004||Archaeological Remains at Ganjam District.|
|44||Kuni Behera||2004||A Study on Khilesvara Temple at Pipili.|
|45||Mitarani Nayak||2004||A Study of Archaeological Remains in and around Pipili.|
|46||Sarita Das||2003||Iconography of Ganesha in Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|47||Alivarani Satapathy||2003||A Comparative Study of the Mukhasala of Mukteswara and Brahmesvara.|
|48||Uday Ranjan Das||2003||A Study of Jaina and Buddhist Images of Balasore District, Orissa.|
|49||Bijay Kumar Panigrahi||2003||A Study of Secular Sculptures on the Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|50||Debajani Ratha||2003||Manifestation of Siva on the Temples of Bhubaneswar 6th C.A.D. to 11th C. A.D.|
|51||Anil Kumar Dora||2002||Manmohan Ganguly and Study of Antiquities of Orissa.|
|52||Anita Nayak||2002||Paramananda Acharya and Archaeology of Orissa.|
|53||Paresh Ku. Sahu Sangeeta Mishra||2002||A Study of Narasimgha Temple.|
|54||Paresh Kumar Sahu||2002||R.P.Mohapatra and Orissan Archaeology.|
|55||Nilambar Parida||2002||Karunasagar Behera and the Study of Temple Architecture of Orissa.|
|56||Shushree Sangita Jena||2001||A Study of Minor temples inside the compound of Lingaraj Temple, Bhubaneswar.|
|57||Smita Nanda||2001||A Study of Taleswara Temple of Bhubaneswar.|
|58||Padmajyoti Sahu||2001||A Study of Dress and Ornaments as Depicted on the Temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|59||Swagati Deo||2001||A Study of monuments of Bhubaneswar (1432-1540).|
|60||Puspita Sahoo||2001||A Study of Popular Stories Depicted in the Sculptures of Ancient Monuments of Bhubaneswar.|
|61||Ruby Tapaswini Das||2000||A Study of Nayikas in the temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|62||Tuli Moitra||2000||The Parvati Temple in the Lingaraj Temple Compound.|
|63||Gopinatha Jena||2000||A Study of Decorative Motifs on the Temples of Bhubaneswar from 6th Century A.D. to 11th Century A.D.|
|64||Chandana Mohanty||2000||A Study of Vyala Figures on temples of Bhubaneswar.|
|65||Sushanta Kumar Patra||2000||A Study on Excavated Sites in the Coastal Belt of Orissa.|
ii. PhD Guidance:
|Sl No||Name of the Scholar||Year of award of Degree||Registration No||Name of the Co-guide if any||Fellowship received if any during research||Topic of PhD Thesis||Summary of the Research Outcome(In 100 Words)|
|1||Sasmita Mishra||2018 `||02 AIHCA, 2008 - 09||NA||ICHR-JRF||Chausathi Yogini Temples of Orissa|
|2||Anuradha Patra||2018 `||08-AIHCA 2007-08||Prof. S.P.Pani||Painting Traditions of Orissa : A Selective Study in History, Religion and Culture.|
|3||Sarbeswar Sethi||2018 `||02 AIHCA, 2012 - 13||NA||UGC-JRF||Forts and fortification in Odisha: from 3rd century B.C. to 6th century A.D|
|4||Rajesh Kumar Sahu||2018 `||04 AIHCA, 2012 - 13||NA||UGC-JRF||Archaeology of Jira Valley, Odisha, India.|
|5||Alaka Sarangi||2016 `||11 AIHCA 2006-07||NA||ICHR-JRF||Buddhist Remains of North Orissa|
|6||Ajoy Sethi||2016 `||04-AIHCA 2008-09||NA||UGC-JRF||Animals in Orissan Art.|
|7||Santosh Kumar Rath||2016 `||08-AIHCA 2008-09||NA||Early Sculptures of Orissa (3rd century BC to 6th century AD)|
|8||Satyabrat Samal||2016 `||08-AIHCA 2006-07||NA||ICHR-JRF||Socio-Cultural Life as Depicted in the Temple art of Orissa. (6th C.A.D. to 15th C.A.D.)|
|9||Amaresh Jena||2016 `||03 – AIHCA 2006-07||NA||ICHR-JRF||Madhava Worship in Orissa (7th Century A.D. to 13th Century A.D.)|
|10||Chandra Apolo Mohanty||2016 `||07- AIHCA 2007-08.||NA||Archaeological Remains and Monuments of Jagatsinghpur District, Orissa (From early period to 15th Century A.D.)|
|11||Harekrushna Aich||2016 `||04-AIHCA 2006-07||NA||UGC-JRF||Krishna in Odishan Art : A Study of Art, Architecture and Iconography- 8th century AD to 15th century AD.|
|12||Sindhu. M.J.||2015 `||10 – AIHCA- 2006-07||NA||Iconography of Buddhist Sculptures of Ratnagiri (7th to 12th Century C.E.)|
|13||Snigdha Mitra||2015 `||7 – History – 2006-07||NA||ICHR-JRF||A Historical Study of Costumes and Ornaments in the Temple Sculpture of Bhubaneswar (7th to 13th Century A.D.)|
|14||Atul Kumar Pradhan||2014 `||9 – AIHCA – 2007-08||NA||UGC-JRF||Maritime Traditions of Orissa – An Archaeological Study (From earliest times to 13th Century A.D.)|
|15||Uday Ranjan Das||2013 `||1-AIHCA – 2004-05||NA||ICHR-JRF||A Study of Archaeological Remains in Bhadrak District (3rd C.A.D. to 16th C.A.D.)|
|16||Adweta Ku. Sahoo||2013 `||2 – AIHCA – 2003-04||NA||ICHR-JRF||Archaeological remains of Cuttack District (From early period to end of Ganga rule)|
|17||Narendra Satapathy||2012 `||339 - Arts- 1992-93||NA||Vaishnavite Sculptures and Monuments of the Prachi Valley.|
|18||Pratima Mohanty||2011 `||6-AIHCA- 2002||Dr. Jeeban Kumar Patnaik||ICHR-JRF||Puri : A Study of the Hindu Monastic Institutions in an important Pilgrim Centre of India.|
|19||Anam Behera||2010 `||01 – AIHCA – 2003-04||NA||UGC-JRF||Archaeological Remains of Daya Bhargavi Valley.|
|20||Sushanta Kumar Patra||2008 `||6- AIHCA- 2001||NA||ICHR-JRF||Manifestation of Siva in Orissan Art.|
|21||Jasmine Patnaik||2004 `||2- History (Arts) 1997||NA||Religion Verses State Formation – A Case Study of Orissa between 11th and early 14th Centuries (I.E. I.E.C. 1000 – 1327 A.D.)|
|22||Kaibalya Charan Pati||` Continuing||01 AIHCA 2015 – 16||Buddhism in Odisha: A Historical Perspective|
|23||Sanjay Panda||` Continuing||03 AIHCA 2016 - 17||Art and Craft Specialisation as reflected in the Chalcolithic Culture of Odisha : A Case Study of Golabai and Suabarei excavated Sites.|
|24||Neha Sharma||` Continuing||03-AIHCA- 2017-18||ICHR-JRF||Select rock Sites of Odisha : An Ethno-Archaeological Study|
|25||Sanjib Kumar Sarangi||` Continuing||04-AIHCA- 2017-18||Preservation of Natural Heritage: A Study on Community Managed Ecotourism at Mangalajodi, Odisha|
b.Journal Publications :
i. International Publications:
ii. National Publications:
- Ramayana Scenes in the Temple Art of Bhubaneswar, Utkala Pradipa Research Journal, Department of AIHCA, Utkal University Vol-vol. III, January (Page 12-14), 1998-99
- “The Sculptural Programme Of The Jagannath Temple, Puri” Orissa Historical Research Journal, Odisha State Museum Vol-Vol XXXII, (Page 1-5), issue- No.3 & 4,, ISSN-(0474-7269), 1989-90
- Maharaja Sri Ramachandra Bhanj Deo, 1882 – 1912 Utkal Historical Research Journal, Department of History, Utkal University Vol-Vol – VII, (Page 82-85), ISSN-(0976-2132), 1995-96
- S.K. Sarangi Poacher’s village to birds paradise of Mangalajodi: Biodiversity Conservation by Ecotourism Initiatives at Odisha, Vista international Journal on Energy, Environment & Engineering, Environment and Social Development Association (ESDA), Delhi Vol-Vol. 3 , July-Aug, (Page 69-77), issue-Issue 4, ISSN-(2456-5342), 2018-19
- N. Sharma Signs and Symbols in Rock Shelters of Odisha : A Study on its Design, Type and Interpretations, Odisha Historical Research Journal, Odisha State Museum Vol-Vol. LVII, No. 3 & 4, (Page 43-51), ISSN-(0474-7269), 2018-19
- Dr. A. Pradhan Maritime Heritage of Odisha (Looking through Archaeological Excavation Lens)”, Prag Samiksha, A National Refereed Journal for History, Culture & Archaeology, Jiwaji University, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh Vol-Vol. III, , issue-Issue-II, No. 6, February,, ISSN-(2321-659X), 2015-16
- Dr. A. Pradhan Archaeological Vestiges of Kushabhadra Valley, Odisha, History Today- Journal of History and Historical Archaeology, The History and Culture Society, New Delhi Vol-Vol. No.17, (Page 35-42), ISSN-(2249-748X), 2015-16
- Mahaprasad of Lord Jagannath – Puri, Shree Jagannath Jyotih- Journal of Indology, Shri Jagannath Sanskrit Visvavidyalaya, Puri Vol-Vol. LXV, (Page 16-19), ISSN-(2347-5889), 2015-16
- Muktesvara Temple – The Gem of Orissan Architecture, SEARCH, DDCE, Utkal University Vol-Vol. IX, (Page 1-4), issue-Issue – 1, , ISSN-(0974-5416), 2015-16
- A. Sethi Purpose and Significance of Animal Motifs in Rock Art : Theories and Realities, Odisha Historical Research Journal, Odisha State Museum Vol-Vol. LIV, No. 3 & 4, (Page 47-53), ISSN-(0474-7269), 2015-16
- The Cult of Jagannath, Journal of Odisha History, Odisha History Congress Vol-Vol. XXVIII, December (Page 48-50), ISSN-(2277-5560), 2015-16
- Dr. P. Mohanty Navakalevara Festival of Lord Jagannatha, Odisha Historical Research Journal, Odisha State Museum Vol-Vol. LIV, No. 1 & 2, (Page 34-44), ISSN-(0474-7269), 2014-15
- H. Aich Krishna in Art Traditions of Odisha, SEARCH, DDCE, Utkal University Vol-Vol. I, January (Page 1-5), ISSN-(0974-5416), 2012-13
- Some Bronze Images from Odisha, SEARCH, DDCE, Utkal University Vol-Vol. I, (Page 93-97), ISSN-(0974-5416), 2011-12
- S.K. Rath Gaudiya Temples of Orissa, Orissa Historical Research Journal, Odisha State Museum Vol-Vol. LIII, No. 1 & 2 (Page 41-52), ISSN-(0474-7269), 2011-12
- S.K. Rath A note on the Jaina Temple at Subei, Journal of Orissa History, Odisha History Congress Vol-Vol. XXII, December (Page 219-224), ISSN-(2277-5560), 2009-10
iii. Review Articles(State Level Publications):
c. Conference Publication(Presented/Published in proceedings):
- “Kalingan Temple Architecture as referred in Manuscripts” Paper presented in the National Seminar on Indian Arts Enshrined in Textual Traditions: with Special Reference to Odisha, organized by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi in association with P. G Department of Sanskrit, Utkal University, at Utkal University, Bhubaneswar, 30th-31st January, 2017.
- “Odishan temple Architecture as reflected in Bhubanapradipa” Paper presented in the National Seminar on Indian Culture as reflected in the Manuscripts of Odisha, organized by the Center of Advanced Research in Sanskrit, Shri Jagannath Sanskrit Vishvavidyalaya, Puri, 13th to 15th March 2014.
- “Historical Background of Puri” Paper presented in the UGC sponsored National Seminar on History and Culture of Shree Jagannath- Its impact on Socio-Religious and Political life of the people of Odisha, organized by L.N.Sahu Mahavidyalaya, Jagatpur, Cuttack, 21st-22nd September 2015.
- “Veshas of Lord Jagannath” Paper presented in the UGC sponsored National Seminar on Religious Traditions and Indian Culture, organized by the Department of History, Sri Jayadev College of Education and Technology, Naharkanta, Bhubaneswar, 11th and 12th December 2016.
- “Chalcolithic Sites of Daya Valley” Paper presented in the National Seminar on Ancient Coins, Seals and Sealings of Chhattisgarh – Techniques, Distribution and Importance in Indian History, organized by Directorate of Culture and Archaeology, Chhattisgarh from 16th to 18th September 2016 at Raipur (jointly with Dr. A. Behera)
- “The Rock Art of Hatigumpha in Udayagiri Hill and Associated Material Culture” Paper presented in the 38th Annual Session of Odisha History Congress, P.G. Department of History, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, 28th-29th January 2017 (jointly with N. Sharma)
- “Antiquities of Naga Worship in Odisha” Paper presented in the 38th Annual Session of Odisha History Congress, P.G. Department of History, Utkal University, Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar, 28th-29th January 2017 (jointly with Dr. U.R. Das)
- “Prachi Valley” Paper presented in the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Re-exploring Prachi Valley at Mangala Mahavidyalaya, Kakatpur, Puri, 21st & 22nd February 2009.
ii. Published in proceedings:
- “Building Material used in the Temples Of Orissa : Muktesvara – A Case Study” Published in the souvenir of the 21st session of Orissa History Congress, held in the P.G. Department of History, Utkal University, November 1996.
iii. Presented/Published in proceedings
- “A Hero Stone Found In Ravenshaw College Campus”. Paper presented in the 45th session of the Indian History Congress proceedings, held at Annamalai in December 1984.
- “An Indigenous Blast Furnace of Iron Smelting at Nadangipenth, Daitari Hills”. Paper presented in the 48th session of the Indian History Congress proceedings, held at Goa in November 1987.
- “Restoration of the Temple Of Khiching” Published in the 19th session of the Orissa History Congress Proceedings, Bhubaneswar in 1994. (ISSN No. 2277-744X)
- Edited Books :
- Jagannath : Lord of the Universe Wartelsteiner GmbH, Oberdorfner I D-84359 Simbach Germany Mail @ www.minibuch.de 2015, ISBN-978-3-86184-313-9
- Text Books :
- Book Chapters :
- “Uttara Orissa – Upaanta Anchalara Mandira Sthapatya” Published in Odia, Uttar Odissa Upanta Anchalara Sanskruti, Fakir Mohan University, 2003, (Page 52-66).
- “Mauryan Art in Kalinga : A Reappraisal” Published in Pratna Bharatam – Glory of Archaeology, Art, Epigraphy and Protection of Cultural Heritage, Dr. Phanikanta Mishra Felicitation Volume – II, Kaveri Books, 2016. (ISBN No. – 978-81-7479-190-0) (Page 274-282).
- Research Books :
- Ganesha in Orissan Art Amadeus Press Bhubaneswar 2nd Edition – 2012, ISBN-82-903813-3-4
- Important Activities:
- Research Projects Undertaken:
- Invited Lectures:
- “Preservation of Cultural Heritage” World Museum Day, 18th May 2009, Archaeological Museum, ASI, Konark.
- “Heritage Awareness” World Heritage Week, 19th to 25th November 2010,
- “Preservation of Cultural Property” World Museum Day – 18th May 2011, Archaeological Museum, ASI, Ratnagiri.
- “Evolution of Odishan Temple Architecture” Celebration of Independence Day, 15th August 2012, ASI, Puratattava Bhawan.
- “Journey as a Photographer” Chief Speaker, the talk was under Kaladhara programmes, organized by Lalit Kala Akademi, Regional Centre Bhubaneswar on 07.03.2013.
- “Evolution of Temple Architecture in Odisha – Andhra” Chief Speaker, National Seminar on Historical and Archaeological Potential for Tourism Promotion in Andhra Pradesh with special reference to Kalinga Andhra, Department of History and Tourism, Government College for Women, Srikakulam, 28.02.2013.
- “Journey of Archaeology in Odisha from Padmashree Paramananda Acharya till Date” Speaker in the 163rd Meet the Artist, organised by Jatin Das Centre of Art on 06.12.2013.
- Chief Speaker, National Seminar on Odishan Temple Architecture organised by Nayagarh Autonomous College, Nayagarh, 25.01.2014.
- Chief Speaker on the occasion of International Museum Day at Ratnagiri Site Museum, Ratnagiri, organised by Archaeological Survey of India, Govt. of India on 18.05.2015.
- “Odishan Art and Architecture” Speaker in the 184th Meet the Artist, organized by Jatin Das Centre of Art on 12.09.2015.
- “Evolution of Odishan Temple Architecture and Sculpture” Chief Speaker in a Seminar organised by Raghunathjew Degree College, Cuttack on 13.11.2013.
- “Odishan Temple Architecture” Chief Speaker in a Seminar on Indian Architecture organised by Sri Sri University, Bhubaneswar on 20.11.2015.
- “Odishan Temples” Chief Speaker in a Seminar organised by P.N. College, Khurda on 05.02.2016.
- Delivered more than 45 lectures in the UGC – Human Resource Development Centre (Academic Staff College) Utkal University from 2010 to 2020.
- Administrative/Executive experience:
- Co-ordinator “Konark Centre for Study of Orissan Arts, Sculpture and Epigraphy” Utkal University.
- Steering committee member to monitor the activities of the Campus Diversity Initiative Programme of Utkal University funded by the Ford Foundation.
- Professor in charge, Maharaja Sri Rama Chandra Bhanja Deo Press, Utkal University from 01.10.2008 to 30.05.2011.
- Coordinator, Documentation Centre, Utkal University, National Mission on Monuments & Antiquities (NMMA), 24.06.2010.
- Member, Advisory Committee, Jatin Das Centre of Art, Bhubaneswar.
- Co-ordinator, Centre of Excellence in Language, Culture and Heritage (RUSA 2.0).
- Member in the reconstruction (Structural & Administrative) of the State Archaeology, Govt. of Odisha – 2019
- Head of the Department of AIHCA from 05.11.2009 to 05.06.2011 and from 01.06.2013 continuing till date.
- Conference organized as Organizing Secretary:
- Course Coordinator, Refresher Course in AIHCA, Utkal University, 2009
- National Seminar on Art and Archaeology of Buddhism in Orissa, 30th March, 2011.
- Course Coordinator, Refresher Course in AIHCA, Utkal University, 2014.
- Skill based Workshop on Relevance of Pottery in Archaeology, (Practical Application of Pottery), 23rd -24th Nov. 2015.
- Skill based Workshop on Documentation of Archaeological Heritage, 30th and 31st March 2017.
- Coordinator in the Induction Training Programme for Lecturers (OES-Group-A for Humanities and Social Sciences) from 10.12.2018 to 13.12.2018
- Course Coordinator, Refresher Course in History and Archaeology, Utkal University, 05.11.19 to 18.11.19.